cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Minimum Pay Rates?

Community Guru
Maria C Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
31 of 48

I don't know Rene, they claim they are not making profits, so obviously their strategy is failing. 

And the biggest challenge for every platform is to keep everybody working inside it. Raising the fees is not precisely the best way to achieve this. 

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
32 of 48

@Maria C wrote:

I don't know Rene, they claim they are not making profits, so obviously their strategy is failing. 

Maria, Upwork actually having a strategy is pure speculation.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
33 of 48

Well, all I really know is that they said "Upwork loses money on every small contract. To continue to advertise for new clients and provide payment protection and other services, we need to increase fees for small contracts." (copied and pasted) 

But they seem to be very tolerant with those cent-paying jobs. A bit contradictory, isn't it? 

And yeah, the rest if pure speculation... 

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
34 of 48

@Maria C wrote:

Well, all I really know is that they said "Upwork loses money on every small contract. To continue to advertise for new clients and provide payment protection and other services, we need to increase fees for small contracts." (copied and pasted) 

But they seem to be very tolerant with those cent-paying jobs. A bit contradictory, isn't it? 

And yeah, the rest if pure speculation... 

It's worth mentioning that certain enormously rich US corporations are perfectly happy to pay just enough peanuts in the global marketplace to ensure competence in work that has not yet been automated, or is too expensive to automate or to pay legal domestic wages for. (Not naming names, one such corporation would come up in response to the question "Who's the leader of the club...?") Such jobs, en masse, could indeed be profitable for Upwork. Such clients are able to set the floor for their rates wherever they like, with Upwork happy to follow suit.

Community Guru
35 of 48

Sad bad true... with the automation the global maket will have to face a great challenge... Smiley Sad 

Community Guru
36 of 48

@Rene K wrote:

....Right now Upwork seems to aim at the massive low-rate market. They accept everybody, they display no specific willingness to fight the low rate, low quality providers. Apparently they are trying to cast a wide net and try to catch as much of small fish they can.

No longer true of providers, René, as not only Upwork's announcements but scores of forum complaints attest.

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
37 of 48

@Douglas Michael M wrote:

@Rene K wrote:

....Right now Upwork seems to aim at the massive low-rate market. They accept everybody, they display no specific willingness to fight the low rate, low quality providers. Apparently they are trying to cast a wide net and try to catch as much of small fish they can.

No longer true of providers, René, as not only Upwork's announcements but scores of forum complaints attest.'

Doug, some are moaning about their profile suspension but we have no idea what Upwork does when they edit their profile so they look less fake.

And see how many Engrish writtters or Paintbrush.exe designers come to complain that they cannot find work. Their profiles are active, their portfolios full of stolen material, their overview copy/pasted.

I don't see much serious house cleaning being done around here.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
38 of 48

@Rene K wrote:

@Douglas Michael M wrote:

@Rene K wrote:

No longer true of providers, René, as not only Upwork's announcements but scores of forum complaints attest.'

Doug, some are moaning about their profile suspension but we have no idea what Upwork does when they edit their profile so they look less fake.

And see how many Engrish writtters or Paintbrush.exe designers come to complain that they cannot find work. Their profiles are active, their portfolios full of stolen material, their overview copy/pasted.

I don't see much serious house cleaning being done around here.

House cleaning needs to be done from top to bottom.

I have recently come across two fake profiles that have been beautifully crafted - supeficially.

One writes essays.

The other has brazenly taken the name (with a small spelling change) of a respected writer and has laid false claim to books he has not written and degrees he has not achieved.

Both these freelancers are top rated and doing very well.  I know what I would like to do to them . . .

Community Guru
39 of 48
Well, René is (rightly) raising two issues. We know the bar has been raised for entry, which was the point I originally responded to. Upwork is in fact turning away new would-be providers.

Housekeeping-wise among already-present providers, I have it on good authority that a major expulsion was done prior to the Elance onboarding. Certainly there's plenty of work left to be done with respect to already registered providers.
Community Guru
Zoltán N Member Since: Jul 23, 2015
40 of 48

Yes, Rene, I absolutely agree. Of course I don't think that such decisions would change the mindset of cheap people - but I believe it would be a good effect on the public image of the site. As I have recently added to my previous post:

"If it is possible, cheap clients will put $5 into the budget field. If there are jobs with this budget, there will be always people for such junk jobs. If it's a tendency, it will position Upwork somewhere far below f***err on the market."

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS