cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Minimum Pay Rates?

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
41 of 48

You can't flag something that does not violate Upwork rules. That is the boy crying wolf. You can come to the Forum and suggest new ideas or new restrictions or new freedoms. But until Upwork officially has a rule, you can't flag a job or proposal simply because it doesn't match your personal ideals about pay rate, budget, etc.

Community Guru
Maria C Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
42 of 48

I just came here to suggest some ideas. 

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
43 of 48

It seems like a waste of time and energy to be angry with strangers for proposing something that you're not interested in. Those clients aren't actually having any thoughts about you at all. They're simply hoping they can get the job done for a few bucks. They put it out there, and someone bites or they don't. If someone does, then that person delivers the quality the client is looking for or the client learns something. It's not personal. It's a minor inconvenience when those people send invitations or just clutter up the feed, but it literally takes a couple of seconds to ignore. 

Getting caught up in that is just a distraction from building your business.

Community Leader
Isabel S Member Since: Jul 23, 2016
44 of 48

That is true, but you have to trawl through so much **bleep** to get to those reasonably priced jobs.

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
45 of 48

@Isabel S wrote:

That is true, but you have to trawl through so much **bleep** to get to those reasonably priced jobs.

Isabel,

Not really. That is what customized searches are for.

Time and again, we advise and are advised to find and work niche markets on Upwork. You can start defining a niche by focusing on services that:

• you can provide with consistently excellent results
  • do not exact an undue toll in lost sleep, lunch, bodily fluids, or general living time
  • command respectable rates in the market
  • are in demand

While none of those (except, with qualification, rates) are search criteria, those questions will help you decide whether you are a pet journalist or an academic editor or a comics inker. Construct your search accordingly, using words as nearly unique to your niche as you can muster.

Once you have such a search, you will find that either:

• There are serious buyers in that niche on Upwork. Go to town!
  • There are so many serious buyers in that niche that you can narrow it further to work you actually enjoy doing. Lucky you!
  • There are no serious buyers in that niche on Upwork. Rethink your niche.

Best of luck,

MIchael

Community Leader
Isabel S Member Since: Jul 23, 2016
46 of 48

Hi Douglas,

I have no problems now. I have stuck with Upwork and I am now in the Top Rated club. But you can't get there unless you have a full time job so that you can support yourself while you climb the ladder on Upwork. It's a Catch-22 because if you have a full time job you don't have any time left for that. If you have the determination though, hang in there, because Upwork is still the best platform I've found, and I've seen a few!

Isabel

Community Guru
Javier M Member Since: Sep 16, 2015
47 of 48

I think she's got a point and it's something we've discussed at length here in the forum.

There's no way to introduce a search that retrieves jobs in a certain hourly rate range.

As a matter of example, the advised range when posting an expert-type job in the web development category is from 40/ 45 USD/ ph upwards...yet my expert-type search is riddled with jobs in a lower range.

How do I know? Because you can see in the client's history they post expert-type jobs and then they hire for 10 USD/ p. It doesn't really bother me but it makes me waste lots of time.

I'm of the opinion that Upwork should enforce the range advised when posting the job in order to foster a more professional marketplace. Clients'd still find a way to bypass it but it wouldn't be as easy as it's now (there's no need/ incentive to use the right range)

Not being able to pay for an expert it's not a crime....but the system should prevent freelancers from applying to jobs where there's no chance for them to be hired.

Community Guru
Alexander F Member Since: Mar 10, 2017
48 of 48

I agree with you. When I complain about all those "hire me dear sir, me very good English" guys I always receive the same dumb answer "oh, you aren't competing with them, you are in another league, don't worry."

Of course I am competing with them! They are like a plague, looking for new hosts to invade. Just take a look at any job offer with a decent pay rate. 50 or more proposals... I wonder how many of them are from people who are actually qualified to do the job. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS