🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Minors joining Upwork
Page options
c7a77e84
Community Member

Minors joining Upwork

Hi, I'm a minor who recently registered here. I didn't know beforehand that anyone under 18 isn't allowed to register. Is there anything I can do to keep my account? I understand the legal implications behind contracting with a minor, but I don't intend to do anything malicious. I'd just like to make some money by doing something I'm good at--just like any adult can. If I replaced my personal email address with my parent's, would I be able to keep my account? Or, if not, could I involve my parent with my account in some way so as to make me an exception to the no-minors rule?

This article seems to say that there are a few exceptions to the rule: https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211067778-Eligibility-to-Join-Upwork May I know what they are? Thanks!

- J. S.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
a_lipsey
Community Member

You are misreading what that article is phrasing as an exception.

With a few exceptions, most everyone over the age of 18 who has an Internet connection can apply to join. 

This does not refer to exceptions to the over age 18 rule. It refers to exceptions to "most everyone". Meaning that anyone over age 18 can apply to join, but there are a few exceptions to "anyone." Then the article goes on to list who MAY NOT apply. 

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
a_lipsey
Community Member

You are misreading what that article is phrasing as an exception.

With a few exceptions, most everyone over the age of 18 who has an Internet connection can apply to join. 

This does not refer to exceptions to the over age 18 rule. It refers to exceptions to "most everyone". Meaning that anyone over age 18 can apply to join, but there are a few exceptions to "anyone." Then the article goes on to list who MAY NOT apply. 

its so hard for minors/people under 18 to find jobs to work at even if they do have skills that are sufficient it doesnt matter because they think we are not capable of earning and using money responsibly.

petra_r
Community Member

JS C wrote:

Hi, I'm a minor who recently registered here. I didn't know beforehand that anyone under 18 isn't allowed to register. Is there anything I can do to keep my account?

not now that you have reported yourself.....

JS C wrote:

If I replaced my personal email address with my parent's, would I be able to keep my account

No.

c7a77e84
Community Member

Well, thanks for the answers.

JS C wrote:

Well, thanks for the answers.

Hopefully they will take some pity on your youth and give you a chance to reactivate when you are 18. I took a look at your profile, and see you have been contributing successfully to Wikipedia, which I know is not an easy thing to get articles approved there. Please understand there are many laws regulating the employment of minors, and it would be a significant challenge for Upwork to navigate those laws as well as protect minors from the many predators they may face online, that they might be liable for. It's just easier to disallow minors from joining. But that doesn't mean you can't work with your parents to build your own local freelance business. Look up SCORE. It's a business mentoring program, and I'm sure you can find a local mentor who will help you build your business legally until you are of age. 

Good luck. 

Thanks, I'll do that!

I had a brief vision of tumbleweed regarding Upwork's 'stringent' verification process.

Richard S wrote:

I had a brief vision of tumbleweed regarding Upwork's 'stringent' verification process.

I think they only verify once someone has earned a buck. I understand why, but I'm not necessarily a fan of that practice. 

I'm sure it saves a lot of money.

I'm a fan of saving money.

Preston H wrote:

I'm sure it saves a lot of money.

I'm a fan of saving money.

Me too, but I'm also a fan of Upwork being known as a place of reputable consultants where clients don't have to fear (any more than usual) getting scammed.  Like I said, I understand why, but it's not my personal preference. 

Amanda L wrote:

Richard S wrote:

I think they only verify once someone has earned a buck. I understand why, but I'm not necessarily a fan of that practice. 

I think I read in the Announcements section that they're going to require ALL freelancers to have a Verified badge, but this will be introduced gradually over the next year.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths