🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Mismatched client requirements and budgets
Page options
geri_kol
Community Member

Mismatched client requirements and budgets

Upwork moderators often say that Upwork is continually working on improving the user experience and the quality of the work posted on the platform, so I am sharing this post as an example of an increasingly common issue in the Writing and Editing niche. Basically, clients listing a bunch of rigid requirements, for example a native English speaker with domain knowledge in certain areas, top-shelf writing/editing experience, capacity to produce large volumes of written words, and even demanding to know one´s writing speed (clearly oblivious of the fact that quality writing more often than not requires prior research and planning, not just banging out words like a monkey on a typewriter) - while at the same time offering meager fixed budgets for the hypothetical freelancer who may meet all those requirements and be tempted to submit a bid.

I would be curious to hear what Upwork moderators - or any other freelancers in the Writing niche - think about posts like these, and if Upwork is making any efforts to "nudge" clients towards at least being mindful of the work requirements/compensation equation. Sure, it is a free market and everyone is free to decide for themselves whether proposals like this one are of value to them or not (they certainly aren´t for me), but considering the higher end of the spectrum - meaning freelancers who are professionals in their fields - the job requirements and the compensation seem clearly mismatched. 

**Edited for community guidelines**

3 REPLIES 3
wescowley
Community Member

I'm always happy to see detailed requirements like this. If they didn't have that last bit in there (and if it was editing and not writing, but nevermind), I'd estimate it, bid my rate on it, and see if anything comes of it. But, they've made it clear their budget is firm and the rate is **** for me, so it's a pass.

But, there are others who might see that as a good rate.

And that is about all the thought it's worth to me. Pass and move on.

I believe that all of the following statements are true:

- The client is paying too much.

- The client is paying too little.

- The client is paying the right amount.

All job postings that indicate a set price are, by definition, mismatched to the expectations of some freelancers. That is the nature of the business. A job posting that tells us clearly what the client intends to pay is to be commended. Because if that client is not paying a rate that is appropriate for my personal freelancing services, the client has saved me time and connects, by letting me know that this is not a job for me.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Gergana,

At Upwork, the terms are for clients and freelancers to decide upon when they post a job, send a proposal, send or accept an offer. Any freelancer who is not satisfied with the rate or budget offered can find a project they consider to be more suitable while these projects may be of interest to other freelancers.

In turn, Upwork team occasionally tests features meant to provide clients with more information and guidance when setting a budget or hourly rate for their job. Here is an example.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members