mpacaldo1

Missing Email Updates since the update

Hello folks,

I have current ongoing work right now and I just noticed that I am not getting email updates from the new incoming messages from Upwork. Also, the new message notification in the Upwork page isn't working correctly. I've been active in Upwork since Friday up to now and just knew about the new messages when my employer directly emailed me if i recieved the message in upwork. This is quite frustrating as I am missing important time to work and messing up with my alloted time for the jobs I have here. Anybody else experiencing this?

20 REPLIES 20
hajbijit

Yes Kevin,
I've also experienced such situation. Since the new message system came up, it stopped sending me emails when someone message me in Upwork. So i switched back to the old messaging system and everything is now going well.
If you continually get disappointed with the new message system, there is an option to get back to the old messaging system in Upwork.

Cheers.......

I am also facing the same issue. Can you please tell me how to enable old messaging system ?

thanks in advance!!

mpacaldo1

Yes I would like to know how to revert back to the original interface as well. Would you mind showing?

When you first accessed the new messaging system, there is/was a notification at the top asking if you wanted to switch back and why.

If that is no longer available go here
https://www.upwork.com/message-center/inbox/#
Save bookmark.

Please use both messaging systems until you get accustomed to how the new system integrates with the old to ensure you do not miss anything. In particular where a message sent/received from the new one goes in the old, re conversations and rooms etc.

---- easy like Sunday morning ----

Setu which messaging are you refering to. I've suddenly stopped getting notifications from current contracts I'm work and for a job I have posted as a client.

Hi Jean,

The 'new messaging system' is the one with the fancy options on the left panel - Rooms / People / Interviews etc. However this system has proven to be unreliable. Many times you send a message and it shows as sent but does not actually reach the client. Same goes for receiving messages. Attachments are even worse.

So until that system is cleaned up, I use the original system with Inbox / Sent / Archive etc i the left panel. It is reliable. Only issue is that its integration with the new system is incomplete. So messages sent from the new system does not always end up in the folder or conversation you would expect in the old. So it is necessary to use both until accustomed.

That is my experience. And I have not missed any messages working this way.

I am currently working with a client and things have been going well. I submitted the last blog post and milestone (I think it is the 6th one). A few assignments back the client apologized for not approving the milestone on the day it was requested becuase she did not receive a notification. 

She is a US client and I realize we just had a long holiday, but I sent this Thursday last week. I have sent a couple of messages to her to see if she needed any revisions. <crickets> I think she is using the smartphone app

Are the email notifications working for clients? Any suggestions?  

@Julie T wrote:

I am currently working with a client and things have been going well. I submitted the last blog post and milestone (I think it is the 6th one). A few assignments back the client apologized for not approving the milestone on the day it was requested becuase she did not receive a notification. 

She is a US client and I realize we just had a long holiday, but I sent this Thursday last week. I have sent a couple of messages to her to see if she needed any revisions. <crickets> I think she is using the smartphone app

Are the email notifications working for clients? Any suggestions?  

I am bumping this since I really need an answer. This client is strict on deadlines and this was a rush project. I submitted on deadline, so I don't want to lose this contract bc she thinks I never turned in the work.

Thank you in advance.  

Julie,

You can submit the work through a message also, preferably using the old system. If you don not have an email address for the client, there is not much more you can do in contacting her. The most you can do is ensure that it is actually submitted, hence why I suggest also sending the document via message system.

I submitted 2 documents about 2 hours ago via milestone and the client only saw one. So i resubmitted both using the old messaging system.

Also the mobile app may get a notification for new message. Worth a try.

Thanks Set. I have done all of the above. As a rule, I submit work via milestone and the messaging system. I dont have a mobile phone, so that is not an option. 

@Setu M wrote:

Hi Jean,

The 'new messaging system' is the one with the fancy options on the left panel - Rooms / People / Interviews etc. However this system has proven to be unreliable. Many times you send a message and it shows as sent but does not actually reach the client. Same goes for receiving messages. Attachments are even worse.

So until that system is cleaned up, I use the original system with Inbox / Sent / Archive etc i the left panel. It is reliable. Only issue is that its integration with the new system is incomplete. So messages sent from the new system does not always end up in the folder or conversation you would expect in the old. So it is necessary to use both until accustomed.

That is my experience. And I have not missed any messages working this way.

It reach the client but the client don't get notified. The message is on their inbox though

Not everyone has the new messaging system option available-I don't and I think that was the reason why I  received some messages five days later- I am not talking about notifications but messages. Probably those clients have sent them using new messaging system and I still have the old one so it was not coordinated properly.

See this thread:

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Coffee-Break/What-is-this-new-messaging-system-that-everyone-s-going...

Yes, whether we can access the new or old system the problem can/will still happen, however I can try to control my end. But I guess the problem still exists if the client has a problem receiving the message in the new or old system, depending.

For now, once the job requires immediate attention, I explain the problem here and ask for some other means of quick contact. I don't think doing that can be an issue considering the problems.

Just an update...my client finally responded and she said the article was great 🙂

That's great Julie, good work and appreciate the update. Not often issues are marked resolved. Did she mention if there were issues in getting the work / messaging etc?

She did not get the first two notifications, but the third one worked. 

tj1972

What I did is switched to the old mailing system and it worked for me - getting notifications in the mail box attached to my Upwork account.

Yes, that seems to be the work-around for now.

I was also experiencing same problem, and contacted upwork and they said they will contact tech support team and will contact me. And its been 23 days and didnt got a reply from them. And i changed to old message system it works fine. Thanks guys. 

At times it is quicker and more fruitful to search the forum......., while waiting on customer service.