🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Mistakes & Learning, My First Week on Upwork
Page options
vipin25
Community Member

Mistakes & Learning, My First Week on Upwork

Edit:- Before you continue my journey, let me tell you that I still have not won any orders yet.

Edited because I saw some comments trying to judge this post many ways

The post is purely dedicated to newcomers like us, experienced please help us with the tips.

I have written over 20 Proposals within a week. So what's so special about it?

Nothing...I have just evolved so much with writing every proposal & still trying to figure it out. Including my writing skills, my research skills for the job & so far I have learned a lot about the job whether I should BID over to that Job or should I let it go. Even if I have gut feelings that I am the best candidate for that project. 

I'm writing because it might help you if you also have just started & don't want to repeat the mistakes by yourself.  

Sorry if this post gets long, but it would be worth to read at the end.

1.) No. of Proposals client is accepting for the Project:-  If you have just started, don't waste your 60 connects. Even before searching for a project, go to advance search & try to go with less than 5 or max. 10 proposals accepting at the beginning.

Congrats you have already improved your chances almost up to 60% from nowhere.

2.) Use more specific search if you are just a beginner:-  With the term specific, I mean like going just for fixed hours, small budget jobs (10-15 dollars), Entry level, simplest tasks to do.  Being a beginner, the goal is to work on more projects & engage with as more clients as you can.

Maintaining high delivery rate & having positive feedbacks is the topmost priority in freelancing.

3.) Read reviews about the client before writing BID:-  Have a look at the reviews freelancers are giving to the client, you will have an idea what you can expect from the client. you might find Payout range if he is posting on a regular basis.

Just a slightly lower rate with a great proposal can give you an extra edge. 

4.) Start your proposal with a Question:-  Once you have found the job you want to consider, just start with something that immediately gives the reader a feeling that you are totally involved with the project & understand the depth of it.

The client doesn't want your high qualifications or heavy background.  He just wants someone, who can make him feel assured for the best quality work as per the requirement.

5.) Add your suggestions & share the best tips for that project:- Include some genuine tips & suggestions in your proposal, trust me it connects with the client so well just like a hook. 

Winning the job is secondary, winning the trust is all that matters.

6.) Be a human & write proposal the same way:- This is not a full-time job portal nor the client is hiring you for the rocket science project that needs your full biodata. Please understand, another side is also a human being so the response from this side should be the same. Appreciate them if you find positive reviews, write a thankful note if he has posted a detailed job with clear SOW.

Sometimes writing with simple words combined with great emotions & clear offerings comes to the top because everyone is busy being robotic & superhuman. 

7.) Invite them to ask questions, even if they have not hired yet. :- You might have followed the best strategy in your proposal but still, there is a chance you can miss the project.  including just a single line to invite them to ask can trigger a conversation with the client & once he is engaged with you, you have a lot more chance to convince him why you are the best.

Sometimes the client needs an extra push, a call of action button/phrase in your proposal.

Tip:- Don't be too cheesy, be balanced. Hold some information for the proposal to get accepted.

8.) Don't write too much, write professionally like you mean it:- As already mentioned, long biodata, mentioning high skills, job experience...blah blah blah...all these things can make your reader lose interest to go further even if you have some great offers hidden at the bottom.

Write straight to the point, narrate around the project such a way client finds your proposal the same way you find an answer on Quora.

Hope you find this post valuable for your future projects.

Thanks for your patience.

Feel free to start interactions & ask with each other.

Do let us know which best strategies you follow, it might get help for others

All the best.

Vipin

7 REPLIES 7
lysis10
Community Member

1. Write a title that tells people how to win EVERYTIME

2. Talk about his 1337 proposals TWENTY of them

3. Write a long post that shows you know nothing, John Snow.

4. Have 0 jobs won in your job history

Typical.

Jon*

Prachi T wrote:

Jon*

bahahahaha dang, yes! I have failed at the GoT reference

vipin25
Community Member

Thanks for your comments mam.

I take your advice & changed it accordingly. Hope it's now more relative than before.

lysis10
Community Member

Vipin G wrote:

Thanks for your comments mam.

I take your advice & changed it accordingly. Hope it's now more relative than before.

You forgot to add that you should always put a Masters in CS even if it's not true to ownnnn the competition because when someone with a real CS degree comes around, there's NO WAY they'll know.

vipin25
Community Member

In that way, I could have mentioned my 8+ years of experience. I had a lot more to mention about but I thought freelancing is all about skills to solve clients problems, not about some kind of hiring interviews for corporate Job again.

Was expecting some suggestions & useful tips if you could share instead of sharing comments to discourage & lower a Newbee.

lysis10
Community Member

Vipin G wrote:

In that way, I could have mentioned my 8+ years of experience. I had a lot more to mention about but I thought freelancing is all about skills to solve clients problems, not about some kind of hiring interviews for corporate Job again.

Was expecting some suggestions & useful tips if you could share instead of sharing comments to discourage & lower a Newbee.

Hey, don't let me discourage you, sweaty. You've got what it takes to sell $1000 courses for sure. 

I'm impressed you got a master's degree in 4 years AND was working. Dannnng, that musta been rough for you. I did it for a while with a peon Bachelor's degree and took me so much longer!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths