🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Moderator Annie Jane B -
Page options
jeremiah-brown
Community Member

Moderator Annie Jane B -

Do you have a username or employee number of **Edited for Community Guidelines**

If so, there may be a glitch on the site - I can see full names and what appears to be email addresses or employee ID numbers etc.

Might want to check it out.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ashrafkhan81
Community Member

Yes, Jeremiah Brown! It is a known issue and I reported it last year when I saw my last name appearing then someone informed me it was reported a few years ago and Upwork did not do anything to hide it...

What is being displayed is the username we choose during the signup and unfortunately, I was informed we cannot change the username. So it is likely to stay as it is...many of us used our last names in the username and it is a serious privacy concern and using the last names anyone can find out more about the person. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
ashrafkhan81
Community Member

Yes, Jeremiah Brown! It is a known issue and I reported it last year when I saw my last name appearing then someone informed me it was reported a few years ago and Upwork did not do anything to hide it...

What is being displayed is the username we choose during the signup and unfortunately, I was informed we cannot change the username. So it is likely to stay as it is...many of us used our last names in the username and it is a serious privacy concern and using the last names anyone can find out more about the person. 

Ridiculous

It doe snot stop there! Using your (or anyone else) first and last name and a few keywords from your profile it is easy to look up their LinkedIn profile. And since there is no profile pic on your LinkedIn profile, or maybe hidden for me as we are not connected, I made sure it was your profile by tallying your university listed in Upwork and Linked in same! 

And now connect it with any of the addins available, I could see your mobile number ending with **Edited for Community Guidelines**

and Martina's email ID, most likely, is on **Edited for Community Guidelines**

I did that to show how easy it is for someone to breach privacy, and I am hoping someone from Upwork will take notice and take appropriate action! 

Not only that, it is also a risk for those who do not have last name in their username like Anne Jane B, it is still possible to look them up and I was able to discover her last name is **Edited for Community Guidelines**

Upwork you should really take this up on high priority! 

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Not a glitch, has been this way forever. 

roberty1y
Community Member

This place must be a stalker's paradise.

the-right-writer
Community Member

There was/is a glitchthat shows the freelancers work title instead of their name. Then it changes to the first name and last initial. They were going to fix that a year? or more ago and it remains.

They never said they are going to fix it. It was always like that, and upwork does not care about the breach of privacy, unfortunately. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths