cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Moderator or community guru gets any financial benefit?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
21 of 26

But to be absolutely 100% clear. As far as Upwork is concerned, Community Gurus do not get paid. As Tony says it's the number of posts you contribute.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
22 of 26

Yeah, Santiago. I hear ya. I'm a volunteer at Google Webmaster Central, and I don't get paid but those free trips to California, free Google stuff like Nexus and Chromebooks or whatever and beta testing are soooo worth it. Also use it as part of my marketing, so eh I get paid in other ways.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
23 of 26

Jennifer,

I'm assuming you're responding in the spririt of the second part of Santiago's yacht post, not the first, so will expand in kind. 

For several years, I've been participating in Twitter #discussions about diabetes and health policy. I always thought of these as mostly opportunities to learn and in a pro bono sort of way to share what I know in bits and pieces, since I never seemed to find the time to keep up a blog. I also supposed that my presence in these groups represented marketing my own areas of expertise, although it took several years to get any confirmation of that: an ongoing paid and bylined writing gig. I accepted without negotiation the rate offered, which is below my standard for medical writing, because the contract provides further exposure and credibility in my market, along with just enough incentive to work through that backlog of "never time for" blog posts. Win-win.

Best,

Michael

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
24 of 26

Hi Michael,

I have (had) the same thoughts. I've been one of their volunteers for a little more than 5 years now. It's actually proven to pay in other ways even though my peers often tease me on "working" for free for a multibillion dollar company. It's  not really work to me though and it's proven to be a marketing asset.

I hear you on the "no time to blog" thing. I do mostly technical writing. Between writing, editors, revisions and just managing customer expectations, I am really too tired to do my own thing. And, I have so many pearls of wisdom too just collecting dust in my head... or maybe they're just unused junk that I need to dump on the Internet. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
25 of 26

@Jennifer M wrote:

And, I have so many pearls of wisdom too just collecting dust in my head... or maybe they're just unused junk that I need to dump on the Internet. 

Hey, it's not like the internet makes a distinction!

;^)

Highlighted
Community Guru
Aleksandra K Member Since: Mar 31, 2015
26 of 26

Ramon and Santiago,

You've just made my day!!! Smiley Very Happy

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS