cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moderator or community guru gets any financial benefit?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nikhil D Member Since: May 28, 2015
11 of 26

forum
ˈfɔːrəm/Submit

noun
1. a meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.

Let me give you an analogy. ..

This is a place for the freelancer community....just like home where a family comes together. The people in the family share their views, opinions and experiences to help others and prevent them from committing the same mistake or sometimes to improve upon something. We never ask for money from our family members. We, freelancers, are a close knit family. We all may work in different jobs or have different areas of expertise but at the core we are all just the same and here we stand up/ support each other. Hence, no money is exchanged but knowledge/ help, worth millions at times, is imparted.

The best example that comes to my mind is Preston. He really values his time, as he has himself stated so many times that he doesn't spend much time on interviews.....but here on the forum, he is always present to help others, one way or the other. No wonder they call him, Setu and others..."Community Guru". Thanks guys, keep up the good work!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Robert James R Member Since: Apr 17, 2015
12 of 26

I'm just here for fun. I have no idea how I got my title o-o Perhaps if I post more, I'll be guru but what if I don't exactly post helpful things? haha

Highlighted
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
13 of 26

"Why your contrubution here has no worth?"

I'd like to think it has immense worth. It's just that worth and monetary value are not always the same thing.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tony H Member Since: Nov 10, 2011
14 of 26

'Guru' means nothing more than a user has made over ???# of posts. I am a guru only because I have more than 1000 posts on these forums, if you include the ones before they changed the forum software. The titles are based on nothing more than the # of posts made. Anyone could talk about their puppy 800 times in the coffee break forum and become a guru. How many posts do you need for each title? I have no idea...

It has nothing to do with quality of posts, your profile, or any other history on Upwork. Just gives people a warm feeling inside to earn the next title, and encourages them to be even more active through a sense of leadership within the community. It's a marketing tactic Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
15 of 26

Tony, I disagree that it's an encouragement to be more active. I don't believe that any of the oDesk/Upwork-titled Community Gurus worked towards it - it was dumped on them as a recognition (or an algorithmic marker) of what they were already doing. Some people frequent forums a lot; others don't. Simples. And I do agree with you, of those who frequent forums a lot, some help more than others; but I really think it's very few who do it for any kind of reward apart from "what goes around comes around".

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ramon B Member Since: Jan 11, 2015
16 of 26
They are just being modest. Community Gurus are given free memberships and infinite connects as a reward for their hard work. Community leaders, by contrast, make the final descisions on the outcome of suspensions. For particularly effective Gurus, commonly termed 'Prestons'the rewards, as they are paid in shares for their contribution, can be significant.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Abdul R Member Since: Dec 4, 2014
17 of 26

It means there is a reward to help here. 

Am I right?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
18 of 26
No, Ramon was being sarcastic.

Why is this important Abdul?
---- easy like Sunday morning ----
Highlighted
Community Guru
Abdul R Member Since: Dec 4, 2014
19 of 26

I just want to know the reality. Anyway thank you for all participants here in this thread. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Santiago G Member Since: Mar 10, 2015
20 of 26

@ Ramon

Did you get your Community Gurus Only yatch? Mine showed up yesterday. Now I just gotta find a big enough river to sail mine in or make someone else cry me a river!!

Smiley LOL

@ Abdul

The reality is that in any given forums, people get paid one way or another. It just depends on what's valued more at the time. Not all moderators get paid in every forum. Sometimes regular posters do get paid. That would depend on the situation. Just note that all kinds of different things can happen in any given forums.

Examples:

Someone like Garnor more than likely has his title here due to it being his entire job OR part of his entire job. So he gets paid one way or another. Same with the moderators here.

I was offered to be a Game Advisor and forums moderator for a private server of an online game. I requested a specific game item as my entire pay since it was them asking me to do that work. After 4 days, they decided and declined. That's ok, I still posted in those forums just the same. It was fine since I gained that specific item anyway!!

I had a similar offer given to me in another online game (official server this time). My pay was Game Cash that I could use in their Cash Shop, in-game items, and in-game money (gold) at specific intervals. Specific, customized in-game items were given as bonuses depending on how well things worked out and attendance bonuses.

For the players of those games, the value was absolutely there even though we never earned a single penny in this "work". And as others mentioned, their in it for the sharing and information value. Or simply because they felt like it...... take your pick!!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS