cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Modified contract equals new contract?

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Fatima A Member Since: Sep 26, 2013
1 of 6

One of my long-term clients recently increased the rate on my contract. Now the modified contract is showing up as a new contract, and the "old" contract is showing up as an ended contract, asking me to give feedback. Neither my client nor I have given feedback, because--well, we're still working together and I should think it would be considered a sign of things going well if a client doubles the rate on a year-old active contract. Is it really counted as a new contract and will my "old" one with its lack of feedback have a negative effect on my stats?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 6

Fatima,it's a very good idea for both your client and yourself to leave feedback on the old portion of the contract, just to make sure you do get it!

Otherwise 1) you're stuck with a "no feedback given" - 2) the feedback that is left on the last (current, or next) part of the contract will be applied across all parts when feedback eventually IS left which is a bit risky in the unlikely event of the relationship turning sour some time down the line and 3) because it would look really good to have a feedback like " Fatima is great, new contract has replaced this one!" or something like that.

It's just to make sure you and the client both GET feedback for that part of the contract and serves as an insurance policy against something turning sour eventully.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Fatima A Member Since: Sep 26, 2013
3 of 6

What would be the reason the contract ended, in that case, since it hasn't actually ended? (My client only increased the rate of the current contract, nothing else.)

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 6

Fatima, I can't remember if it asks you that when leaving feedback on a "part contract" but if in doubt I'd make sure to use "successfully completed" because essentially that is what it was. You were so successful at the stuff you've done so far that client wants to give you more money.  I'd call that "successfully completed" Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
BEST ANSWER
5 of 6

This is what Valeria said about this situation.

When the client increases the hourly rate, the contract is updated. The client can provide feedback when they update. However, once the job is closed and the final feedback is provided, that final feedback will be displayed in your work history. Both feedback given while updating the contract and the final feedback contribute to your Job Success score. The client will be considered long-term if you are working with them and regularly receiving payments from them on any contract for 3 months.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Guru
Olga Q Member Since: Sep 5, 2012
6 of 6

Fatima, when the client raises your rate, Upwork automatically starts a new contract. The previous contract ends and both you and your client may leave feedback - which is something you shouldn't miss at all, because if the client raised your rate it means he/she is happy with your work, which means that you'll get yourself a nice feedback. I had this happening to me last week to a one-year long contract.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS