cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Money Laundering Scams EVERYWHERE!

Highlighted
Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
11 of 22

Hi Adrian, thanks for sharing your concerns.

We have multiple tools and processes to detect TOS violations and harmful behaviors. As soon as our Trust & Safety team becomes aware of any violation or suspicious account, they investigate and take action. We also require all earning freelancers to verify their identity and get ID badge as a part of our commitment to maintain safe and fraud-free marketplace. That said, we encourage users to report suspicious activities and share the evidence they have with the team, so that it could be reviewed. I see you reached out to our support team earlier today via a support ticket, feel free to update it with any additional information you may have.

~ Bojan
Untitled
Highlighted
Adrian H Member Since: Aug 26, 2020
12 of 22

Hi Bojan, great it hear about the "multiple tools and processes to detect TOS violations and harmful behaviors." But im a human and I've provided upwork irrefutable evidence of at least one fake user (and the connected users). They're not going trigger multiple tools and processes. I'm brining this up with you guys and am very interested to get an actual response (nothing as yet) and the action you intend to take on this particular user. Over 230 found in just a few hours..  thought you guys would take on the investigation, but no furhter thinking - I can see why this isnt a priorty. And to be quote honest, I dont really care either.

CORRECTION: 

I did get an email responce: 

"Thank you for contacting Upwork Customer Support and thank you for reporting these profiles to us. I'll be escalating your issue to our designated team to have these profiles investigated. Be advised though that we do not disclose the result of our investigation bu rest assured that everything will be taken care of accordingly. "

It'll be intersting if these network of profiles get banned or remain active. Time will tell

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
13 of 22

Hi Adrian,

I'd like to reiterate the information Bojan provided and would like to confirm if you're referring to the freelancer you reported last week when you mention sending a detailed report to our team? I checked the support ticket and see our agent responded shortly after receiving and reviewing your report. If you're referring to a different report please let me know and I'd take a look.

I'd like to ask you to stop reposting the same accusations of illegal activities taking place on our platform, since that is both a Community Guidelines and TOS violation. I'd also like to ask you to avoid making personal attacks against other Communuty members who followed up on your post and offered their perspective on the subject.

We are here for you if you need assistance with the concern shared in the recent support ticket or any other question or concern.

Highlighted
Adrian H Member Since: Aug 26, 2020
14 of 22

Hi Vladimir,

I do apologise for my mistake in relation to not receiving communication from Upwork. I have in fact received an email. and apparently my request and it is being received and investigated. - So sorry again about that.

I would have thought Illegal activity on your platform is something you would want uses to report. And you’re saying that reporting this is against Upwork's terms and conditions? - Did I understand that correctly? 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Why did upwork feel it necessary to remove the link I had provided to an in-depth Harvard study Into money laundering using this exact tactic that I described?

Is that because it adds too much credibility to my original post? I’m not accusing upwork of illegal activities, I’m simply pointing out that people are using upwork to conduct illegal activities. I’m certain that that is not against your terms and conditions to report such activity.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
15 of 22

Adrian H wrote:

Hi Vladimir,

I do apologise for my mistake in relation to not receiving communication from Upwork. I have in fact received an email. and apparently my request and it is being received and investigated. - So sorry again about that.

I would have thought Illegal activity on your platform is something you would want uses to report. And you’re saying that reporting this is against Upwork's terms and conditions? - Did I understand that correctly? 

Why did upwork feel it necessary to remove the link I had provided to an in-depth Harvard study Into money laundering using this exact tactic that I described?

Is that because it adds too much credibility to my original post? I’m not accusing upwork of illegal activities, I’m simply pointing out that people are using upwork to conduct illegal activities. I’m certain that that is not against your terms and conditions to report such activity.

Why are your posts being edited? Well, the purpose of this forum is to help users of Upwork, not to allow disparating rants about  Upwork.  If framed differently, your posts might be interpreted as reports; however, the tone and frame come off as attacks against Upwork and other users, and this forum is Upwork's forum. They are not going to allow users to disparage them like that on their own forum.  You can certainly take this kind of complaint to social media  and duke it out with Upwork reps in public there, but this is not the appropriate place. The moderators here can only do what the CS reps that you contacted did, which is  escalate the reported accounts to the appropriate team.  So that's likely why you keep getting edited.  Are you violating TOS? Go to the New to Upwork subforum and read the Community Guidelines there. You'll see in the TOS for this forum that attacking Upwork is not allowed. Smiley Wink  

ETA: The Community Guidelines are located here.

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
16 of 22

Hi Adrian and Amanda,

I'd like to note that a few posts have been edited and removed from this thread, in order to keep the discussion on topic.

Adrian, to your question about reporting illegal activity. We have systems in place to detect TOS violations as Bojan noted but also a system for enabling users to flag and report suspicious activity, and a dedicated team that reviews the user-generated reports. While we can't share any information about actions taken on other user's accounts, as you've seen in the case of the report you submitted, we do enforce our TOS in case a violation is identified. We do encourage users to flag or report any suspicious activity or share their concerns with us, like you have, as that helps up keep the platform and our users safe.

Highlighted
Jan R Member Since: Nov 23, 2018
17 of 22

I keep reporting clients that ask me to work outside of Upwork, or those who seem to operate under fake names, or claim to work for company xy but aren`t, clients that are plain liers and manipulators, clients who hold freelancers hostage over their Upwork reputation so that they get the job done for fraction of cost. Or there was one client that look like a Bob Marley on the picture yet claims to have a doctorate from several universities, offers job with no details and I found out he uses Upwork also as a freelancer and is billing 20 hours every single day for several years + several times a week does projects with milestones worth thousands of dollars and at the same time employes several other full-time freelancers that also work for him unbelievable amounts of hours like robots. And when after some time I check whether the client is still on Upwork, they all continue on Upwork the same way they did before, the last one mentioned is even enterprise client. The only effect of reporting seems to be I started receiving warnings that I should not accept jobs that would take me outside of the platform (which I never did at all and always was very clear about it to clients), I became invisible to good clients that before used to regularly seek my help, my current clients are being suggested to pause contracts with me. I understand the part that Upwork needs freelancers to have their own KYC department at home. What I do not understand is that why if I do the due diligence and report something, what follows makes me feel like a snitcher rather than a useful member of the community. Should I be afraid that my account can be even terminated if I continue the current way?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ryan C Member Since: Feb 3, 2017
18 of 22

Hello Marjorie,

I'm sorry to hear that. Can you please give me some more details about this via PM so I can help you out? You can also read this article to help you avoid questionable jobs. Thank you.

Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
19 of 22

Marjorie B wrote:

I am being bombarded by fake jobs from people who want me to launder money by opening up an account or use my own account for them to transfer money into and have me send money out to their clients *** Edited for Community Guidelines ***is one of them. I will compile a list if you like. I'm considering calling to see if there is any interest in this from the FBI. It's harassment. I came to this site thinking I could find real admin work. I will keep applying but I strongly suggest that UPwork not allow job postings from anyone who has not been vetted and their payment method verified.

It's called money laundering when illegelly earned money, most often in the form of cash, has to be converted into usable money, as cash payments have their limits, for example, when buying a house or car. It is very hard nowadays to go to a bank with a suitcase full of money and put it into an account. 

Any money transferred on upwork has already entered the system, meaning a bank account, a deposit of sorts, so it is already laundered, and does not need any more transferring to make it such. 

The scams on upwork go more into the direction of plain old stealing money, either from clients by not performing work, or from freelancers by the old check scam, for example. 

A very good example for the neccessity of money laundering is portrayed very well in the series Breaking Bad. Walt has the dilemma that he has a storage locker full of cash that is basically unusable unless it is laundered. I think I remember that he opened a car wash and did other things to deal with it. But he never became a freelancer on upwork, as far as I recall. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
20 of 22

For some reason that is not really clear to me, many people use the term "money laundering" interchangeably with "scamming."

But that is simply a misuse of the term.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS