cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Monthly Fee Charged only on Local Currency Credit Card (CAD), But PMT Card (USD) Still Charged 2.75%

Highlighted
Jeannie Y Member Since: Jun 29, 2018
1 of 3

How can I use our USD Credit Card, which is not is local currency (Canada), to pay both the monthly fee of $25.00 and the milestone transactions, without also incurring 2.75% per transaction fee?   What determines local currency and why can I not establish U.S. as local currency, since our USD credit card is established in the U.S.?

Highlighted
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
2 of 3

Hi Jeannie, 

To make it convenient for clients with billing addresses in Australia, Canada, and Great Britain, Upwork defaults to charging credit and debit cards in the local currency. However, please note that all prices, rates, and transactions you see in proposals, contracts, reports, etc. are always in U.S. Dollars. And the freelancer will receive U.S. Dollars as payment in their Upwork account. Only the billing to your card will be converted to your local currency. You may opt out if you prefer to pay in U.S. Dollars.

To change to your preferred currency, you may follow the steps outlined here

For the processing fees, there is an alternative flat fee of $25 per month. You may read more about it here

-Avery
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
3 of 3

@Jeannie Y wrote:

How can I use our USD Credit Card, which is not is local currency (Canada), to pay both the monthly fee of $25.00 and the milestone transactions, without also incurring 2.75% per transaction fee?  

You can't.

@Jeannie Y wrote:

What determines local currency

Your location. You are in Canada, therefore your local currency is CAD.

• "Local Currency – Billing address in Australia, Canada, United Kingdom, or most Euro countries, and credit card in that local currency

Once enrolled, if for any reason a payment is made with a different billing method, the standard 2.75% processing fee will apply."

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS