Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Monthly payment

g_mamantopoulos
Georgios M Member Since: Dec 5, 2016
1 of 12

Hello Upworkers,

Can a Client/employer pay me monthly and not weekly? If yes, how?

Best, 

George

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 12

Not on an hourly contract, no.

It is theoretically possible if done via a fixed rate contract, but only advisable if the client pays the whole month's worth in advance as a milestone into Escrow.

why would you want to do that, anyway?

g_mamantopoulos
3 of 12

Hi Petra, 

Thank you. It's not me who wants it, my client does. I do not know why.

Best, 

George

petra_r
Community Guru
4 of 12

@Georgios M wrote:

Hi Petra, 

Thank you. It's not me who wants it, my client does. I do not know why.

Is the job you are discussing with the client hourly or fixed rate?

Is the client's payment method verified?

Personally I would pass on that, just tell the client that hourly contracts are billed automatically every week for everyone's safety and convenience and leave it at that.....

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 12

It is common to see scammers offer to "pay" freelancers on a monthly basis. But when a scammer makes such an offer, she is just trying to trick a freelancer for doing a bunch of work for free, and she has no intention of ever paying the freelancer anything.

I suppose it is possible that a genuine client might want to pay a freelancer on a monthly basis.

But why on Earth would a freelancer want to agree to this? This offers no benefit to a freelancer.

Here is my reply to a client who asks:

"Janice:

Thank you for offering to pay on a monthly basis. As far as I know, Upwork does not have any way of automatically charging anything on a monthly basis. But if you want to pay an additional monthly stipend on a monthly basis, then in addition to payments made through our hourly contract, you can pay any amount you want to pay on the first day of each month using Upwork's Pay Bonus tool."

g_mamantopoulos
6 of 12

Thank you for your response.

With all due respect sir, you are a freelancer with an extensive portfolio, long hours of contracts, and a community guru. The response that you gave to your client would never work for a freelancer like me - 5 projects in total, 2 months of membership in here. The client would just say no and move on. Me and you do not have the same negotiation power. Do you have a more pragmatic suggestion for me or for someone who might be in the same position as me? 

Best,

George

g_mamantopoulos
7 of 12

They are discussing an hourly job, their payment method is not verified. You are right, something smells here. The only thing that is still keeping me from concluding that this is a scam, is the fact that they are a fairly-known company. They are not one individual client.

Best, 

George

petra_r
Community Guru
8 of 12

Georgios M wrote: The only thing that is still keeping me from concluding that this is a scam, is the fact that they are a fairly-known company. They are not one individual client.

You have NO idea if it is a "well known company" and one of the tricks used by scammers is using the name of a well known company to make you feel safe.

new client, talk of paying monthly, probably a high rate, non verified payment method are all huge red flags.

often they then want to interview on Google Hangouts, send you "checks for equipment" or expect you to pay a fee or a licence.

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
9 of 12

Hi Georgios,

Is the client you're referring to the one from your most recent message room? I've asked someone from our team to reach out to you for more details, but please note that all payment have to be processed through Upwork and you should start working only after you're hired on the platform, and a contract is displayed under your My Jobs tab. Please read these safety tips and report any client exhibiting the red flags mentioned in the thread. 

Untitled
0522198b
Abi C Member Since: Oct 15, 2018
10 of 12

I found this thread as I was researching whether this is possible with Upwork. I'm a hirer. I was looking at having a retainer relationship with a designer - where we agree a set amount of images on a monthly basis - for a set price. I can then commit to the designer for say 3 to 6 months to start. I don't have to create a new project for every job, I hope I can get a good deal for guaranteeing the freelancer work, and the freelancer knows they have an assured work. It's a sort of retainer relationship and the payment can be made in advance. I'm not sure why such an agreement would be considered as a scam.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS