🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » More and More Scammers
Page options
mike_zimmerli
Community Member

More and More Scammers

Seems like the longer I am on Upwork the more scammers that FIND ME. I have had four since joining earlier this year.Three of those were in the last month.

They respond very quickly fter you submit a proposal, which makes your heart jump and say, "Yay!" Then you see that you've been shortlisted. Yay. But wait ...

**Edited for community guidelines**

So very irritating! And just flagging as inappropriate is very unsatisfying. And I don't know if anyone actually does anything. I would like to see a better scammer reporter system on Upwork, especially since they can't keep them off. This one today as was even an Upwork Plus Client, a member since  ... wait for it ... YESTERDAY!

Color me discouraged.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
a_lipsey
Community Member

They target new freelancers. I would recommend taking the first line of your profile out, since you're basically broadcasting to them to target you. 🙂 

Yes, flagging works. These posts do get taken down. The best way to combat scammers is to know how to spot them, report them, and ignore them/go about your day. There will always be people trying to exploit others on any platform. The more established you become the less you will be exposed to them. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
petra_r
Community Member

Michael Z wrote:

Seems like the longer I am on Upwork the more scammers that FIND ME.

You would avoid them 100% if you didn't violate the terms of service by agreeing to communicate outside the platform or accepting checks (fake or not) - Asides, both can get you banned from the platform.

Once you have some history on Upwork they'll leave you alone.

I am not meeting them outside of Upwork. I understand the rules of service.

Michael Z wrote:
I am not meeting them outside of Upwork.

Of course you are. How else could they send you a fake check?

Obviously you have gone back and found my previous vent about scammers from a couple of months ago, since that was not part of this particular conversation. That came out of my very first "interview" on Upwork, and I had absolutely no idea how interviews worked. In my naivete I followed a llink supplied by what seemed like a legit client for an interview via Skype. When I figured it out, I shut it down and reported them to Upwork and flagged them. They were very slick and knew about Upwork policies and said they had paid the Upwork fee to steal me away. They knew more than I did about the Upwotk interview process.

Now that I have done a half-dozen interviews and several jobs, I am much more aware of signs that a job is not what it appears. That's why I get frustrated at seeing the number of scammers posting daily on Upwork, trying to snag newbies and semi-newbs. 

I applaud my fellow freelancers who flag scammers on a regular basis. Those of us who are still feeling our way along need you looking out for us. Thank you!

a_lipsey
Community Member

They target new freelancers. I would recommend taking the first line of your profile out, since you're basically broadcasting to them to target you. 🙂 

Yes, flagging works. These posts do get taken down. The best way to combat scammers is to know how to spot them, report them, and ignore them/go about your day. There will always be people trying to exploit others on any platform. The more established you become the less you will be exposed to them. 

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm sorry to hear about your experience, Michael! 

Thank you for flagging this for us and for sharing your feedback.

Make sure to always keep an eye out for fraudsters out there who may try to take advantage of professionals like you. Our Stay Safe series could be a great source of instructions on how to spot potential scams and fraudulent activity. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members