🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » More fake profiles
Page options
renata101
Community Member

More fake profiles

I've noticed a lot of fake profiles in the last few months and I've spent a lot of time flagging them, but little or nothing has happened.

This one is a great example. At the very least, photo appears to be doctored in Photoshop. The gif shows the before and after. Notice that the hairline features are almost identical in both photos. There are also a lot of other questionable elements in this one. At one point, the name the clients use in their feedback to the FL changes to something completely different. 

At the very least, after viewing this image, you'd expect that Trust & Safety would ask this person for do a video verification. I'm not sure why that hasn't happened. 

**Edited for community guidelines**

48 REPLIES 48
renata101
Community Member

This is a second profile that I've flagged. 

Here's #3.

Upwork will edit all of this, but it would be great if they could do something against the scammers who are behind these two profiles. They were flagged and flagged and flagged to no avail.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Rene K wrote:

Upwork will edit all of this, but it would be great if they could do something against the scammers who are behind these two profiles. They were flagged and flagged and flagged to no avail.

There are actually 3. I'm not sure why they haven't even basically asked them to video verify. I've flagged them, you've flagged them. Petra's cats have probably flagged them.

All of them have multiple issues, but I can't understand why not one of the three has been asked for a video verification. 

Renata, way to thrown down the gauntlet.

Renata S wrote:

Rene K wrote:

There are actually 3. I'm not sure why they haven't even basically asked them to video verify. 
All of them have multiple issues, but I can't understand why not one of the three has been asked for a video verification. 

Because Upwork is too busy verifying profiles of proven long-time freelancers in good standing to bother spending time on the oh-so-obvious (at least to us) FAKERS who should be removed post haste.

You have advanced me in the answer!
+ 1000 for you.

Rene K wrote:

it would be great if they could do something against the scammers who are behind these two profiles. They were flagged and flagged and flagged to no avail.

They were. I flagged them too.

I have flagged at least one of them before.  Re-flagged today.  Sigh.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Renata,

I appreciate the detailed report you filed here and I'll be sure to share this with the correct team for the review. Original posts have been edited for Community Guidelines. Please note that any possible violations may be reported privately. 

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
petra_r
Community Member

Bojan S wrote:

I appreciate the detailed report you filed here and I'll be sure to share this with the correct team for the review. 

Bojan, they have been reported over and over again. They could not possibly be more obviously fake. They were reported with lots of details and proof by several people.

Yet - weeks later, there they are, still allowed and positively encouraged to con clients.

Please get someone to provide an explanation as to why that is so.

Hi Petra - How did you come across those fake profiles?

Joan S wrote:

I come across all sorts.

Does it matter in any way?

Does it make them any less fake?

No, Petra, it doesn't matter. I was just curious. I don't check profiles very often.

Joan, it's easy to find them.
You will not believe it, but I did a simple search and the first two that I opened had the same text in the presentation, copied from a PDF.
The first one has caught my attention because he has not bothered to edit the text and has pasted it according to the original, with short phrases.

I open the second one, and it's the same text.
What a mess!

Maria, I guess you mean that you did a search for a certain category of freelancer. That is something I have seldom ever done as I have no need to. Too busy working, generally, I guess.

Joan S wrote:

Maria, I guess you mean that you did a search for a certain category of freelancer. That is something I have seldom ever done as I have no need to. Too busy working, generally, I guess.

Yes, it was a test search, in Graphic Design.
Just to see how easy it is to find them 🙂
If it is so easy for us, why is it so difficult for Upwork?

Free time until I get more information to work 🙂

Joan S wrote:

It's pretty hard to miss them, since their numbers are legion.

Virginia F wrote:

Joan S wrote:

And, I say, if Upwork has so many problems to "find" these "obviously false" profiles, why not allow us to post them in the forum to make them work easier? (there is no thoughtful emoji)

Anonymous-User
Not applicable

Ha. They aren't paying us to police their system. If they want to let everyone in, let them.

What are the fees we pay going to? Clearly not in upping their cybersecurity.

They've let this go on for years. Enough already.

Cairenn R wrote:
Ha. They aren't paying us to police their system. If they want to let everyone in, let them.

What are the fees we pay going to? Clearly not in upping their cybersecurity.

They've let this go on for years. Enough already.

Agree that I do not get paid for doing it, but I can not bear that there are so many scoundrels cheating "possible good clients" who, due to a bad experience, can decide not to use the portal anymore.

I'll be silly for doing it, but I'll continue. If I manage to remove one, one less!

I flagged both of them some time ago, and Upwork has done less than diddly squat about them. Their profiles are fake and these people are getting work based on a tissue of lies (and duplicate accounts). 

Well, Maria - sometimes I think there is some justice in the world. I recently had a client who was something of a scoundrel with me - and she just got shafted by another freelancer. I can't feel too sorry about that.

Joan S wrote:

Well, Maria - sometimes I think there is some justice in the world. I recently had a client who was something of a scoundrel with me - and she just got shafted by another freelancer. I can't feel too sorry about that.

Oh yes, I also mark jobs. I find quite a lot of "tests without payment" for example, they are the most common in design.
I did not mention them because we were talking about fake profiles 🙂

It seems they were now set to private (I guess it is only fair that they have to be proven to be not who they say they are before being removed altogether.)

It does beg the question why we are told that flagging is the best option when these were flagged by a number of people a while ago and absolutely nothing happened at all.

Also to be fair to Upwork, I have found flagging very effective in a lot of cases lately. But here the ball was well and truly dropped I think.

petra_r
Community Member

Petra R wrote:

It seems they were now set to private (I guess it is only fair that they have to be proven to be not who they say they are before being removed altogether.)

And, unbelievably, the main fake profile which stole the photo of an award winning scientist in Wales has been resumed again, still with the same stolen photo.

Petra R wrote:

It does beg the question why we are told that flagging is the best option when these were flagged by a number of people a while ago and absolutely nothing happened at all.

Even more unbelievable, and worse, is that obviously Upwork did check the account, set the profile private, then released it again and nothing was done. Nothing.

mtngigi
Community Member

Petra R wrote:

Petra R wrote:

And, unbelievably, the main fake profile which stole the photo of an award winning scientist in Wales has been resumed again, still with the same stolen photo.

Petra R wrote:

Even more unbelievable, and worse, is that obviously Upwork did check the account, set the profile private, then released it again and nothing was done. Nothing.

It is unbelievable ... yes, same fake photo. I have flagged and re-flagged so many scam profiles, and they're still up and running.

Perhaps we should all just give up. It seems it's a losing battle.

Petra R wrote:

Petra R wrote:

He/she earned over $20K. Upwork doesn't kill a fake profile that earns good money.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Rene K wrote:

He/she earned over $20K. Upwork doesn't kill a fake profile that earns good money.

Well, they already let him/her change name (profile started out as Jacqueline!)

I'd have thought they'd at least get him/her to change the profile to his/her real name and location and history....

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you for following up regarding this case, Petra. While I won't be able to share any details about another account status, I'll gladly update our team with your report. 

~ Bojan
Upwork

Bojan S wrote:

Thank you for following up regarding this case, Petra. While I won't be able to share any details about another account status, I'll gladly update our team with your report. 

And what will "update our team with your report" be for? If it has been marked and marked and nothing has been done.
This is a tease!

renata101
Community Member

Bojan S wrote:

And in the meantime, I've found another profile that appears to be related to these three. At least it repeats a number of copied elements that were used in the other ones. 

This is the one thing that makes me rage about Upwork, and I have to keep my rage private. They let people totally steal their profile text and portfolio items and instead of taking this as a sign that the freelancer is dishonest, they just make them change it and all is good. And then sometimes they just change it back to the stolen content.

Image result for rage meme

Exactly my face with this theme!

Smiley LOLSmiley LOLSmiley LOL

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you, Renata. I'll check the information provided in PM and escalate it to our team for further review.

~ Bojan
Upwork
petra_r
Community Member

Bojan S wrote:

Again...

I don't obssess about it but I flag a few everyday - jobs and freelancers.  I don't go looking for them, though.  As there are no alternatives in  my field, I would like to help keep it strong.

What I want to know is how all of these profiles are being approved by Upwork? The other question, why is Upwork continuously accepting new freelancers on the platform when most categories are already saturated? I was amazed by a recent forum post from a new freelancer with no work experience asking for advice on how to land his first job. How did he get here in the first place? Seriously, Upwork, I really would like to understand the rationale behind this unless you are going to hide behind the old canned algorithms and we can't tell you response.

Virginia F wrote:

Joan S wrote:

I must be unobservant because I haven't organically come across any so far. It's been easy for me to miss them. 😄

A copy of mine may be one of them, for all I know! I'm scared to do a search because I'll bet I'd be pretty angry if this were the case...

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members