cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More of a suggestion than a question But I will post it here anyways.

Highlighted
Karelin V Member Since: May 22, 2017
1 of 6

Hi!

I recently joined upwork and immediately signed up using the pseudonym I use as a writer since I am mostly here for writing jobs. I recently had to change my account name to my legal name for the purposes of matching it to my bank account information.

My suggestion/question is that I would find it immensely useful and feel more comfortable if Upwork could possibly add a "display name" field so that you have an "account name" that links to whatever payment method you use so that there aren't identity issues. And a "Display name" that prospective clients and other freelancers see instead so that those of us who prefer to use and be referred to by, a pseudonym can be.

Sincerely, 

Karelin but please call me Hailie (Hailie Drescher)

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
2 of 6

Hi Karelin,

Thanks for the suggestion. Pseudonyms aren't allowed and all Upwork users must use their real and verifiable names, in accordance with the User Agreement. In addition to complying with Upwork ToS, displaying freelancers real name does help foster trust and maintain a high-quality workplace for all Upworkers.

Highlighted
3 of 6

I... know..... 

As in you have the "account name" that connects to the financial stuff then a display only name because some people prefer to be known by a pseudonym in some professional contexts.

Karelin, still want's to be called Hailie on here.

PS: I know of a former user who used to use a pseudonym...

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 6

You can arrange to use a pseudonym or no author name at all on any writings you publish. Arrange this directly with the client.

Highlighted
5 of 6

I don't know anyone on here before I get accepted as a freelancer.... what if I am afraid some creepy person is going to search my clearly very unique name for nefarious purposes (without saying anything)?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 6

re: "what if I am afraid some creepy person is going to search my clearly very unique name for nefarious purposes (without saying anything)?"

You have nothing to worry about.

I can assure you that various individuals, companies, governments and other organizations (some too creepy to describe here) have already been doing this with your name, your pseudonyms, and all of your personal information for decades. Your decision to use or not use Upwork will have no discernible effect on this.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS