cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: More than One Talent?

morganalyx
Alyx M Member Since: Dec 29, 2016
1 of 8

I am multi-talented, & would like to be able to get work in all of those different categories.  I've got 20+ years of admin experience, while also being a professional photographer, a voice-over artist & am just starting out in the editing business (audio & video).  How can I make it so that I can apply for different jobs in each of those categories, without the hiring managers wondering why an Admin is applying for a video editing job?

mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
2 of 8

Most of us will recommend that it's best in the beginning to focus on one or two skills instead of being all over the place. You want your profile to be focused. Once you're established with a history of jobs and good feedback, then you can seek out and bid on other types of jobs.

Admin and Photoshop experts abound on Upwork. There are many here who offer Photoshop skills, and at very low rates - that can be hard to compete with.

You might want to peruse the job boards to see what's most available with some of your skill sets, and then decide.

yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
3 of 8

Alyx, for one thing, I imagine hiring managers are a tiny minority of Upwork's clientele. Regardless. in your case you might consider modifying your Profile Job Title so it includes Admin, like "Photographer / Photo Editor with Admin experience" perhaps.

Nia G Member Since: May 3, 2016
4 of 8

I'm in agreement with Virginia. It's difficult to have so many different things listed on your profile. Most folks I've seen trying to this on Upwork give off a "jack of all trades, master of none" type of impression. You wouldn't want that. 

So, it is best to start with what you are most skilled at and then branch out. A great way to do this is by offering your other services to your past or current clients who may need them. You'll often find with longer term contracts that there's a lot of opportunity to expand and help with more tasks. This could be a good way for you to do all the things that you mentioned. 

alanhorenstein
Community Leader
Alan H Member Since: Nov 23, 2014
5 of 8

Once you get into a longer term contract, you may find the client asking if you can do X, Y and Z. You could then request that the client create separate job posts for you to handle those tasks, and title them descriptively to show off your ability to handle tasks from different domains. Once you have completed them well, your profile will show a diverse range of successful engagements. That in turn will lead to clients finding you in freelancer searches for those keywords.  Your title is not the only profile element that drives search. Every word in your profile is searchable. 

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
6 of 8

Alyx, as someone who has hired creatives for multiple companies, my perspective is that if someone sees a photographer also offering administrative services or a writer who also mentions data entry and typing services or some similar combination, the message it sends is that you can't make a living at your alleged core skill and so are willing to do anything you're capable of in order to make some money. That doesn't inspire a lot of faith in your talent or experience in what would be perceived as the higher-level skill, and may undermine your ability to land those jobs.

Most of us have multiple things we COULD do and do well to make money here, but generally the clients who come here are looking for a very specific skill, and the more perfectly you fit their niche, the more credibility you will have. For example, my professional background includes marketing, public relations, teaching, test preparation, curriculum development, public speaking and the practice of law, but on Upwork I ghostwrite for professionals and write law firm websites and blog posts...end of offerings. 

carlos-lobo
Community Guru
Carlos L Member Since: Apr 24, 2016
7 of 8

Dear that is quite common, voice-over? editing? I am too talent for cooking, for shopping and so on. I think everyone is quite talented.  A simple advice, maybe foolish would be to make what is more enjoying what is more increasing money, make a balance. HTH

morganalyx
Alyx M Member Since: Dec 29, 2016
8 of 8

Thanks to all for your responses.  I appreciate your insights.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS