Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Most oDeskers would choose "mandatory" Good Fit

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Donna M Member Since: Aug 28, 2012
11 of 26

Preston that will never happen why:

If they start assigning tasks then oDesk will then become an employer basically a temp agency no longer would US workers on oDesk be considered 1099 but instead W2'S under the U.S. labor code.

Also if they started assigning jobs since oDesk is in the US (actually California which has some of the strictest labor law in the nation) it would be required that they pay at least the federal min wage to all workers no matter their residence

As it is they may be walking a thin line with the new rating with the new My Stats and how they suspend workers based on those stats

take a look at what’s happening with the Uber & Lift class actions. Here is some info about it

The facts in both cases have a number of similarities. Both Uber and Lyft allow drivers to make themselves available for work whenever they want and allow them to accept or reject rides once they have been selected – both factors that favor IC status.

On the other hand, both companies expressly reserve the right to terminate the drivers’ relationship or to terminate the use the company app if a driver’s customer ratings are deemed unacceptably low or for any reason at all.  Both courts noted that this factor is a key one favoring employee status

In any case I don’t want oDesk to assign me if I wanted that I may as well get a regular job

Highlighted
Community Leader
John T Member Since: Mar 19, 2015
12 of 26

Agreed. If people are using freelance sites to fill in where they're having difficulty landing a regular job, then I wish them the best of luck with that, and hope they manage to get something steady going on, whether on here or elsewhere. But that's not, at root, what the site is for.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
13 of 26

@John T wrote:

Agreed. If people are using freelance sites to fill in where they're having difficulty landing a regular job, then I wish them the best of luck with that, and hope they manage to get something steady going on, whether on here or elsewhere. But that's not, at root, what the site is for.

John,

This is off topic but there are a lot of freelancers that work fulltime and don't need an outside job. I am one of them. There are quite a few high earning freelancers on oDesk that work no other job but oDesk.

Donna,

Excellent post. There is a fine line between employer and Client.

Preston,

I would not in anyway want oDesk to decide what I am doing I would be working a regular job again if I wanted that. But interesting topic. 

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Angela B Member Since: Feb 5, 2012
14 of 26

No. Just no. If I wanted someone to "assign" me jobs I would have stayed working at the newspaper. This is freelancing... that's a job. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
15 of 26

I appreciate the thought you've put into this Preston.

But "Forget the talk of freedom or being your own boss or the ability to work from home."

Nope, I can't forget it Smiley Very Happy I quit my full-time job and turned down 2 job offers just so that I could have this lifestyle. And I'm lovin' it! (Sans the oDesk bugs & customer support!)

I'm pretty sure there are many others here who are NOT just in it for the money...

Plus, Sadan made an excellent point.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Eva S Member Since: Feb 20, 2015
16 of 26

yah good fit would be ideal if it actually worked and if it didnt limit you.For me the only good fits seam to be the types of jobs i did get before. Any ideas on what a good fit alogorithm would be made of?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
17 of 26

I actually once suggested that oDesk would start assigning freelancers jobs, but I was joking. Preston, I hope you are being sarcastic. That would be a terrible idea. First of all, by definition a freelancer has more autonomy over the job than an employee. People become freelancers because they want more control over the work they do.

But even employees don't simply get assigned work. I've worked as an employee for 30 years, and never in my life have I had a job where I wasn't interviewed so the prospective employer and I could get to know each other a little bit first. An algorithm can't calculate chemistry between two people. You can have a client/employer that you just hit it off with. You can also be in a situation where, for some reason, you and the client/employer just don't connect, even though you have all the skills on paper.I think one of the reasons I have a 100% satisfaction rate is that I like my clients as people.

Consider how many disputes must take place and how many low feedback scores must be given simply because client and freelancer have different communication styles.

Hmm, maybe oDesk can make people do Myers-Briggs assessments before they join. (That was sarcasm.)

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
18 of 26

Marcia,

Thanks for your note.

I can address a few questions and comments that you and others have posted. I do so just to satisfy people's curiosity. This whole thing isn't any kind of proposal I'm pushing or idea I'm defending. It was simply something to contemplate.

Am I being sarcastic?

Actually, no. It was not my intention to be sarcastic or satirical.

I think something that was lost on some people reading the original post and the thread in general is that I wasn't calling on oDesk to implement the "mandatory" Good Fit idea.

I was really just contemplating contractors and people who work on oDesk, why they do it, what they would want in the context of Good Fit and Connects.

I wasn't saying that the oDesk's "Good Fit" technology itself, or even some extension of it, could actually accomplish what I suggested - assigning work to people rather than offering prospective job options.

I meant only what I said: that if the option was offered, most oDesk contractors would prefer to have a guaranteed assignment which is a "good fit" for them, rather than apply to jobs with uncertainty.

This was not a suggestion so much as it was a thought experiment based in the psychology of people, particularly oDesk workers. How many would prefer this, how many wouldn't...

Sadan enriched the discussion tremendously with his analysis of the technological feasibility and technological difficulties in doing something like "mandatory" good fit using software automation.

Sadan's comments and responses to his comments have been interesting and worthwhile.

Likewise, Donna and other touched upon the legal implications of the theoretical "mandatory" Good Fit concept. Which was also interesting and worthwhile.

But I wasn't really considering technological or legal issues in my original post. In fact, "mandatory" good fit could conceivably be something that a future oDesk or another company would attempt through mostly non-automated means... using humans who are familiar with specific areas of expertise and with a group of contractors who meet the needs of clients. Imagine if oDesk was one big agency...

Anyway, the point isn't that this kind of thing should or shouldn't be done, nor was it a contemplation of what ways something like this already exists elsewhere. (It certainly does NOT exist within oDesk.)

As I expected, the people who frequent the community forum would mostly NOT want to simply receive assignments from oDesk. But some people here would like that certainty and also appreciate the potential time savings. This very idea HAS been suggested not only by Marcia (in jest), but also by others (speaking seriously) in past forum threads.

When you think about the variety of comments you read in the forum, including comments from people feeling frantic about connects, people exclaiming that they don't know how they'll be able to feed their family, people who post a minimalist profile and then demand that they must be able to win a job immediately... It is easy to imagine that many people would readily dispense with bidding on jobs or choose jobs if they could, if it meant the chance to earn money using some specific skills that can be of use remotely and online.

In fact, I imagine that many people coming to oDesk for the first time are disappointed that it doesn't do exactly what I suggested: simply assign them work and send them money for doing it.

Highlighted
Community Leader
19 of 26

> This is off topic but there are a lot of freelancers that work fulltime and don't need an outside job. I am one of them. There are quite a few high earning freelancers on oDesk that work no other job but oDesk.

Indeed. I think I've explained my point badly. What I was getting at is that I don't think it would be an improvement for people such as yourself to have oDesk turned into a standard job.

I'm a full-time freelancer myself, though the work comes in from all kinds of different sources.

Highlighted
Community Leader
20 of 26

> In fact, I imagine that many people coming to oDesk for the first time are disappointed that it doesn't do exactly what I suggested: simply assign them work and send them money for doing it.

I think you're right, and I think some smart company somewhere at some point will set up a service just like the one you describe. It makes sense for lots of kinds of work and lots of kinds of workers. Perhaps it could / should be a sub-set of the oDesk platform. But yes, I think someone will create this in the not too distant future.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS