🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Moving between locations
Page options
doraizsaki
Community Member

Moving between locations

Hi guys!

I recently moved from Hungary to Spain, so, I changed my location to my current address.

However, as an EU citizen, I choose to stay as a tax resident of Hungary and keep my Hungarian VAT number (what I needed to delete from Upwork when I changed my location).  I don't plan on applying for a residency here for a while (once again, my EU citizenship allows me that). 

I have a few questions about it: 

- In this case, do I need to use my "physical" location (Spain) or my tax residency (Hungary)? If the later, do I need to apply for a Spanish VAT number also? 

- Can it cause trouble in case of a location check? My official address is still in Hungary. 

- I frequently visit my family in Hungary (for a week every three weeks) - should I worry that Upwork will flag my account because my location doesn't line up with the one on my profile? 

I am sorry if these are silly questions, I just wouldn't like to run into problems later Smiley Happy

Cheers!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Dora,

If you are traveling and are away from your country of residence temporarily, you don’t need to update your location. If it does raise any flags on our end, the team will reach out to you directly.  If however, you are going to be away for an extended period, such as moving some place, then you should make updates to your account location. Please make sure you have an appropriate visa type or permit to work in a country you are situated in and pay taxes accordingly. You may need to consult with a legal advisor about it.

~ Bojan
Upwork

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Dora,

If you are traveling and are away from your country of residence temporarily, you don’t need to update your location. If it does raise any flags on our end, the team will reach out to you directly.  If however, you are going to be away for an extended period, such as moving some place, then you should make updates to your account location. Please make sure you have an appropriate visa type or permit to work in a country you are situated in and pay taxes accordingly. You may need to consult with a legal advisor about it.

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members