cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Jobs on one contract??

esme-symes-smith
Esme S Member Since: Jan 23, 2014
1 of 5
Okay, so I just completed a ghost writing job, and my client was super pleased with it and wants me to work for him again. I have several other jobs that need my attention over the next month, and will not be able to give his job the time it requires and I made that clear. He said that that's fine and we should 'leave the contract open so we can work something out' This being my first job, I got very confused - I wanted to leave good feedback for him, so I ended the contract, assuming that we'd start a new one with a new job. I then received a snotty email asking me why exactly I'd ended the contract (uuh the job's finished??) and telling me not to do it again as 'it's more work on our end to start a new contract' ... I really need an opinion on this. I'm really upset. The job went really well and now I'm worried I'm going to get bad feedback for this. And is it the done thing to have multiple jobs on one contract? Help!
margaretphillips
Community Guru
Margaret P Member Since: Jul 7, 2007
2 of 5
You should let the client end the contract. It is hard for them to : a. go back and leave good feedback b. rehire you. If he was going to give you more work on that contract, that is not a problem. A contract can stay open forever for adhoc work. I have a lot of contracts like this. As long as the client pays you for each item he adds to the contract then, yes it is fine to have many jobs on one contract. It seems like he is an honest person who paid you already so it does not seem there is an issue there. Creating a new job for each little thing he wants done is a burden to the client, I am also a client and it is pain in the rear. I don't blame the client for being upset, it seems he communicated pretty well with you, that he wanted to leave it open and give you more work as it fit into your schedule. He is willing to pay for the work so where is the problem? On the fixed price contract a client can pay milestone payments as much as he/she wants. He clearly stated he wanted to 'leave the contract open so we can work something out'..and so you closed it? You really need to be more flexible and pay attention to what is being communicated to you.
marciamalory
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
3 of 5
As this was Esme's first job, she might have wanted the contract closed so she could have some feedback. She could have done this by politely asking the client to close the contracts and explaining why; it is what I did with my first two clients.
stephenbrightman
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
4 of 5
Everything is about communication and presenting yourself in a professional manner. Esme, I would message the client and gently apologise for the misunderstanding, explaining you didn't know the system that well, and were keen to get feedback for yourself. Don't make it grovelling, just like you want to clear up any bad feeling so you can move forward. And make it clear that you'd be happy to work for them again. if the client's reply is still "snotty", then consider whether you want to work for a snotty client..
esme-symes-smith
Esme S Member Since: Jan 23, 2014
5 of 5
Thank you for your feedback all! It's just not something I've heard of, and I was very confused by what he meant by keeping the contract open. I searched on oDesk to find information, but I couldn't. It seemed logical to me that when a job was finished, that contract closed, so I figured he meant something different than what it actually was. Anyhow, I spoke with him and everything seems fine. It's very tricky coming into this new - it had all been going so smoothly before.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS