Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple ODesk Accounts | Public Internet Network

hitleaks
Community Leader
Asif R Member Since: Jan 7, 2015
1 of 7

I'm working as a Professional Data Entry Operator in a Medical University where I ofently search ODesk for new jobs or notifications.

Some of my collegues are interested to start working on Odesk according to their professionality fields.

My Question:

Is this allowed all of us to use the same IP address as we are all connected to same network using LAN.

Waiting for Pro members replies please.

Preston H (Your reply is appreciatable)

Regards

Asif Rehman

Asif Rehman
prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
BEST ANSWER
2 of 7

My short answer regarding IP addresses:

Don't worry about it.

Longer answer:

I have read notes from a number of oDesk contractors who post on the community forum who have said they use computers and networks with shared IP addresses and have not had a problem. This includes instances in which more than one person in the same family use the same IP address, either through different computers on the same home network or even multiple using the same computer. The Philippines is one place where people have said that internet service providers may provide internet service to multiple homes with the same IP address. I have a family member who occassionally uses oDesk from the same home IP address.

Keep in mind that in many universities, business and home internet situations, IP addresses are part of a large pool and are dynamically allocated. The same user, using the same computer, might have a different IP address every time they log onto their computer. This is the situation for me, personally, when I log into oDesk while on campus at the local university. When I log onto oDesk while using free wi-fi such as at a local McDonald's, I am using other IP addresss again, and using IP addresses that are simultaneously bein used by multiple other users.

I would not be surprised if oDesk monitors IP addresses, but I have not personally heard of anybody getting suspended because more than one oDesk user used the same IP address. There is no reliable way to use the IP address or machine ID alone to discern the identity of people logging into oDesk. ODesk knows this.

You and your colleagues need to have your own logins on local computers. You should not share login credentials to local computers. And of course you should never share login credentials to your oDesk accounts. No matter what. Never let anybody log into your oDesk account, either on the website or the time tracker application, other than yourself. Not technical support people, not colleagues, not friends, nobody, for any reason.

So as long as you do that and as long as you aren't trying to scam oDesk or your clients, having more than one person use oDesk from the same building or IP address should be fine.

View solution in original post

raven2
Ace Contributor
Mahbub R Member Since: Jul 20, 2016
3 of 7

Thank you for taking the time to address this issue. I want to add (don't know if it is a normal issue), sometimes a worker may have more than one major skills and he can't put those in one profile. (e.g- Anyone normally does web and app design, will not add 3D interior visualization or online marketing as another skill. (It may confuse client and affect credibility.) And/or as you said, there may be multiple users from same house using same IP through same/different device. 

I just learned, A person can own only one agency and join another if he/she is not exclusive contractor of their own agency. I don't have much idea on Profile vs Agency account.

Is this allowed that multiple users can use the same IP address through same/different device? (you said yes. any update/change?)

What could be the solutions for people who want to work in two different fields not from same profile for reasons?

Regards,

Mahbub

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
4 of 7

Hi Mahbub,

I'll reiterate that users are allowed to have only one account on Upwork, and clarify that freelancers who have joined an agency are still using their freelancer profile details when submitting proposals as agency contractors. You can check the difference between individual Freelancer and Agency profiles in this Help article.

Untitled
raven2
Ace Contributor
Mahbub R Member Since: Jul 20, 2016
5 of 7

Thanks for your reply. So, anyone wants to create an agency profile beside freelancer profile, just needs another workstation. Nothing to worry about same IP, is this right? 

Another tiny thing. Could I have a link for general ettiquettes (like is it valid/good manner to ask specifically client if he could rate good in "recommend to other" option after successfully compliting tasks.)

Thanks

Mahbub

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
6 of 7

Hi Mahbub,

Both Freelancer and Agency profiles, as is the case with client profiles as well, are created from the same account. One accounts - three different profiles. If you don't want to set up your own Agency profile, you can join an Agency owned by another freelancer.

Please read this Help article and follow the links to other resources related to creating your own or joining an Agency.

Untitled
marcyscreed
Community Guru
Maria Marilyn M Member Since: Oct 27, 2010
7 of 7

Glad I've found this!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS