🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Multiple clients want to hire me, how sho...
Page options
vbworks
Community Member

Multiple clients want to hire me, how should I say No to one client politely

Hi Everyone, 

A few days back, I had no project. So, I started applying to different jobs related to my skills.

Luckily, I won two interviews and both clients want to hire me.

I have one previous employer who also wants to hire me for 20hrs/week of work.

Now, the problem is that at a time, I can work for only 2 clients. (20hrs/week/client) 

At the time of the interview, I said that I am available for the work. (Because, actually at that time, I was)

The contracts have not been signed yet and I have to say NO to ONE client.

Now, I am worrying that how I will say to the client that I can't work on his project? 

I appreciate the help.  
-Ahmed

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

re: "I can send those messages to the client. But actually, the problem is that I feel obliged to work for him."

So here's the problem with that:

It is hurtful to the client.

If you feel obliged to work for the client because you told him you would be available or whatever, then you're basically saying you want to hinder the client's success.

This is what you need to understand and embrace:

The client wants to get a task done.

But he does NOT want YOU to do the task.

He does not ACTUALLY care about who does the task.

That's what it means when he posted an open job on Upwork.

It means: "I don't care who does this. I just want to get it done."

So my advice to you:

DON'T WORRY!

Just say no.

Don't feel obligated.

Let the client find success by working with somebody who really does have time for his project.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
prestonhunter
Community Member

I appreciate this offer, but my situation has changed and I am no longer available to give this project the attention it deserves.

mipaparazzi
Community Member

Its simple. Let one know that you won't be availble due to the present situation. The client may decide to wait depending on the type of project. I tell clients that I'm not available and if they trust my work some prefer to wait due to they are sure of the quality of your work.

vbworks
Community Member

I agree with both approaches suggested above.

I can send those messages to the client. But actually, the problem is that I feel obliged to work for him.

I mean, in the interview call, I told him that I am available and will work on his project.

He told me that the design will be ready in two weeks and he will hire me then.

I agreed with him.

So, now, I am thinking that he probably stopped finding new freelancers and hoping for me to work on his project.

But now, I am actually not available. 

re: "I can send those messages to the client. But actually, the problem is that I feel obliged to work for him."

So here's the problem with that:

It is hurtful to the client.

If you feel obliged to work for the client because you told him you would be available or whatever, then you're basically saying you want to hinder the client's success.

This is what you need to understand and embrace:

The client wants to get a task done.

But he does NOT want YOU to do the task.

He does not ACTUALLY care about who does the task.

That's what it means when he posted an open job on Upwork.

It means: "I don't care who does this. I just want to get it done."

So my advice to you:

DON'T WORRY!

Just say no.

Don't feel obligated.

Let the client find success by working with somebody who really does have time for his project.

edulima-dev
Community Member

Hey Ahmed. Pick the projects you would like to work and don't be affraid to say to other clients you are no longer avaible to work with them because better opportunited became available for you. There is nothing wrong in choosing what is best for you as long as you keep them informed as soons as you can. Keep the contact open for future opportunites. 

All the best

d02ed5af
Community Member

Don't give up and more.  Think up positive to the client be patient for those. Client who want to you or not 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths