cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple contracts with one client

Emily B Member Since: Dec 24, 2018
1 of 3

I have a client that I've worked with since June and I write blog posts for them each month. Several times they have created new contracts (vs just adding a milestone to the original contract). Therefore, I have several contracts with them open that are not active. What would be the best way to handle these without effecting my Job Success Score? Should I have her close out the inactive contracts?

Thanks!

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 3

When you have finished work on something, maybe she wants to create a new contract.

DON'T ACCEPT the new contract until she closes the previous one.

Just tell her.

"Jasmine: Thank you for sending the new contract offer. Please close the contract that is open so that I can accept the new contract and get started on the new project."

Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
3 of 3

It depends on how many contracts you have overall, how often new ones open and close (other than with this client), your tolerance for a cluttered list, and your client's tolerance for fiddling with UW admin tasks. Generally speaking, a contract that sits idle doesn't hurt you as long as something was paid on it at some point in time. You don't want to stack up a bunch of them, though. Ideally, you want the client to close a contract so they'll leave feedback. (If you close it, they get a reminder to come to UW and leave feedback but they are less likely to follow through. A pattern of no-feedback contracts can definitely hurt you.) So for any contracts that are well and truly finished, with no/minimal chance of being used again, I'd ask the client to shut 'em down. You might try to find out why she sets up new contracts instead of adding milestones to an existing one--maybe she doesn't know how. Note, though, that you don't want too many of your UW eggs in one contract that never ends (or even a few), because theoretically (and ironically), you could wind up with too few outcomes to calculate a JSS, and that would really not be good.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS