cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple users, one IP address

Community Guru
Robert James R Member Since: Apr 17, 2015
1 of 23

Background: My brother recently quit his dayjob due to contract issues and I figured it would take him at least one or two months to get back. In the mean time, I plan on having him create an account here on Upwork just so he can have something to do while he waits for the HR people to call.

We use the same internet line so it makes me wonder if I'll run into trouble if Upwork realizes we're using the same IP address. I read it was okay to create another account within the same household but this thread makes me think twice.

Does Upwork allow multiple users within the same household? What do I have to avoid or be careful of?

We obviously have different computers to use but what if he logged in on mine and vice versa? Will it result to a double ban?

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
BEST ANSWER
2 of 23

Nobody ever got "banned" for having someone else use the same IP - there must just not be any interaction between the two accounts.

There may be a need for ID verification.

Never log into eaach other's accounts, do not hire each other, and if anyone from Upwork asks any questions, just answer them.

It is not, by itself an issue.

Maja R Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
3 of 23

But, can both of the users apply for the same job?

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
4 of 23

Hi Maja,

Yes, freelancers can apply for the same job using their own separate accounts even if they are using the same IP address. 

Also, may I suggest that you update your profile picture and make sure you are the only person in the picture.

Thank you.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Yogendra D Member Since: Oct 27, 2018
5 of 23

Hi 

I create my profile And convert that in Agency and my firend also Create Agency and we are using same IP so it will be against of upwork police Or we can use same IP

Aleksandar D Moderator Member Since: Mar 23, 2019
6 of 23

Hi Yogendra,

Thanks for reaching out to us. As long as you are logged in on your account you will not have any problems. If irregularities are found Upwork has a process to protect the affected users, in this case, our team will contact you via ticket with detail explanation.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Untitled
Muhammad Haris R Member Since: Jul 7, 2019
7 of 23

hello,

i'm new at Upwork and i dont know much about the platform so i asked my sister to recheck my profile so she logged into my account. But after this  UPWORK suspended her account permentaly. she did nothing wrong . Can upwork solve this issue?

Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
8 of 23

Hi Muhammad Haris,

Please note that it's important that you don't share your login credentials with anybody as logging into other users' accounts is a serious violation of Upwork ToS.

Please, refer your sister to the notification the team sent to her about the suspension.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Untitled
Muhammad Haris R Member Since: Jul 7, 2019
9 of 23

how can i refer my sister to the notification? can you explain this Little?

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
10 of 23

Hi Robert James,

I would like to confirm the information Petra shared in her response. Even if you help your brother with creating his account, make sure you don't know his log in and password and he doesn't know yours. If you two will work on the same computer, always log out of one account (both in the browser and the Team App) before the other person starts working.

~ Valeria
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS