🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Multiple workrooms or message areas neede...
Page options
xlnt3d
Community Member

Multiple workrooms or message areas needed under 1 contract

I'm working with a client under a contract with a set amount of hours. However, as I near the limit, the client will increase the hours in 40-80 blocks or whatever we negotiate.

We are processing several various jobs under the time constraint. So far we have about 7 different projects running at the same time. So our message string is getting long and with several files being uploaded. 

The client and I would like to be able to setup separate catagories or something to help separate each of the jobs without starting a bunch of new projects. At this point the work is just flowing from the client, so we need to be able to stay organized. Normally I would use something like Trello or Microsoft Teams. How do I do something similar and stay in the Upwork ecosystem?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
grimesr
Community Member

If you have the time, please come back with an update. If that works, maybe make that a solution for others to know what to do.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
tlbp
Community Member

You don't have to manage your projects on Upwork unless you want to. You have to get paid through Upwork. 

xlnt3d
Community Member

Thank you for the quick reply. I would totally go to another project management platform, but wanted to see if there was something available in Upwork first.

The client works with several people on Upwork and for them, its easier to hit up one platform, handle their outsourcing needs and move on. They are not interested in jumping between various project management platforms between all their outsourcing.

Eventually they might, but for now, I really just need a way to easily organize and manage several little jobs under 1 ongoing contract.

Can you manage your own Trello and copy and paste as documents and instructions come in from the client for each project to keep it all straight on your end?

I thought about that and even starting setting up MS Teams and Trello to see which I'd prefer. Then I got the answer below about creating rooms. I'm going to run with the multiple rooms for now.

Thank you very much for taking time to answer my question though!

jchonp
Community Member

Hello, I want to find out as a client or an employer how I can add another employer to a room. Basically I have a freelancer that myself as a employer or client need to speak to but I also need my partner who would also be an employer client need to speak to also. How can we do this simultaneously. I tried to find him on upwork but I couldn't probably because he's an employer client. How do I find another existing empoyer/client to a room with myself and a freelancer?

Hi Jchon,

You can add your partner by clicking on Add a coworker to the right of the screen here, and invite him using his email address associated with his Upwork account.

~Andrea
Upwork
grimesr
Community Member

I have not added a room in the message portion but it sounds like what you want. Make a room for each project and invite your client. 

Am I wrong in how this would help?

xlnt3d
Community Member

I'll definitely give that a try and let you know. Thanks!
grimesr
Community Member

If you have the time, please come back with an update. If that works, maybe make that a solution for others to know what to do.

xlnt3d
Community Member

Exactly what was needed. The client just said it looks like we'll have a house by the time we are done.....I see that as a.......

BIG FAT WIN!

Thanks!

tlbp
Community Member

Jonathan A wrote:

Exactly what was needed. The client just said it looks like we'll have a house by the time we are done.....I see that as a.......

BIG FAT WIN!

Thanks!

Thanks for the update. I haven't used Upwork's rooms but have used several other project management apps with various clients. 

kr_bs_ba
Community Member

Although the actual solution here did not fit my question, some of the other content did. I was trying to find out if it is possible to use Microsoft Teams through Upwork, because when a prospective client requested my email address to send a Teams meeting invitation, Upwork flagged the email address with a recommendation to communicate through Upwork, not outside it. The client is in Seattle, WA; I am in southeastern PA; and there is an offshore team member in Ukraine. The statement about managing a project outside Upwork in Teams or the other app mentioned, but getting paid through Upwork, seems to indicate that if the client is accustomed to using Teams asking to go through Upwork isn't feasible. If I'm making a wrong assumption, please chime in. Thank you.

xlnt3d
Community Member

I think you are correct. One of the reasons Upwork wants you to communicate through their platform is that if there is a dispute, they will evaluate the communications in part if their decision in settling that dispute.
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths