cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My 1st Dispute- 10 Working Days Still Nothing??

bbakersvoice
Ace Contributor
Bobby B Member Since: May 21, 2017
1 of 5

I did some voice work for client "A" (money in escrow) and out of the blue he asked for his $100 to be refunded.  I completed initial recording (milestone) and he responded favorably ("good start") so I responded by giving him several more recordings with adjustments in an attempt to meet his needs.   After I delivered the additional recordings he politely disappeared...no response to any my follow up inquiries.

On December 18th he asked for a full refund and basically stated he didn't want the work (yet he has 4 of my recordings for his business).   I contested his request stating my reasons on the 18th & we are at 10 business days later & the money is still in limbo, I haven't been contacted by Upwork (as I was led to believe) and I am concerned this guy is going to walk away with my work and not pay a dime.

This is my first experience with this on Upwork & I am wondering if anyone can shed some light on how long this normally takes & outside of litigation am I basically "*#@()?" 

Thank you. 

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 5

@Bobby B wrote:

On December 18th he asked for a full refund and basically stated he didn't want the work (yet he has 4 of my recordings for his business).   I contested his request stating my reasons on the 18th & we are at 10 business days later

It's not 10 business days yet, plus it's Christmas week... Give it a bit more time.

Unless you and the client can come to an agreement during mediation there is only arbitration left (at a cost of $ 291 each, but if you pay for arbitration and the client does not, you get the arbitration fee back and the funds in Escrow.)

If the client does not respond to the mediation you'llalso get the funds in Escrow.

bbakersvoice
Ace Contributor
3 of 5

Thank you...I'll continue to patiently wait hopefully this guy does the right thing.  

r2streu
Community Guru
Randall S Member Since: Mar 20, 2017
4 of 5

Good luck! 

My stated policy is, I get paid for the work I do. What you do with it after that is entirely up to you. Your needs/vision have changed? Your budget got slashed? Management killed the project? File under NMP.

So far, it hasn't been an issue. I can think of two projects right off the bat -- no, three -- for which I was paid for the VO, and they wound up going a different direction for the finished product. If they're professionals, they'll pay you. 

Make sure you score this client accordingly, regardless of what happens, so the rest of us can steer clear. Smiley Wink

bbakersvoice
Ace Contributor
5 of 5

I did get compensated by Upworks so that was a positive...yeah definitely will leave a proper review. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS