cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My 7 day trial contract ended up in just two days without an explanation from the client...

Highlighted
Sumeet S Member Since: Oct 8, 2013
1 of 5
Hello everybody, I am a newbie on oDesk. I received an invitation for the interview for a job by one of the greatest clients on oDesk. I cleared their skill test, Skype Interview. I was then hired for a 7 day trial assignment. But without any explanation, The end my contract in just two days after being hired. I even didn't get a proper explanation about it. I was waiting for them to tell me what task I was assigned to. What should I do? Has anybody experienced anything similar? Please help. I was in deep need of this job and was expecting to give my best to it.
Highlighted
Felisha C Member Since: May 22, 2016
2 of 5

Hello Sumeet,

I had a similar experience a few month or so ago. I was so disappointed I had to send a personal email to the client as they are well-known advocates for the "believing in yourself" mantra.

A few days later I received a response with a vague explanation but I was too "turned off" and disappointed in them to even respond.

You just have to be careful with the free trial clients.....there is no such thing on Upwork!

Can someone please post a link with this instruction from Upwork? I am sure I read something of this nature before.

Regards,

FelishaC

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
3 of 5

Felisha, look at the "Report Client" section on this page: https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211063118

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 5

re: "I was then hired for a 7 day trial assignment. But without any explanation, The end my contract in just two days after being hired. I even didn't get a proper explanation about it."

This is fine. Contractors/freelancers are hired on Upwork on an "at will" basis. Clients can close your contract at any time. Clients do not owe contractors an explanation. You were told very specifically that you were being hired on trial basis. That means that the client was not sure about you but was willing to give you a chance on a temporary basis. When the client realized that the two,of you together were. It a good fit, he did both of you a favor by concluding the trial contract immediately.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5 of 5

@Preston H wrote:

re: "I was then hired for a 7 day trial assignment. But without any explanation, The end my contract in just two days after being hired. I even didn't get a proper explanation about it."

This is fine. Contractors/freelancers are hired on Upwork on an "at will" basis. Clients can close your contract at any time.

The posting you responded to is from 2 and a half years ago, when there was a huge client who used to "hire" 1000s of freelancers for a 1 week trial contract which was only paid if the trial resulted in a hire. In other words freelancers worked for free UNLESS they were subsequently hired for the actual job. They were hired on fixed price contracts for the week's trial, but it was made perfectly clear that no payment would be made unless they were accepted

That client is not longer on Upwork. Nor is the OP.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS