madgulkar
Community Member

My Badges Criteria

This refers to My Badges criteria

For "TopRated Plus badge" you have 3 criteria
1)Top Rated
2)Earned over $10,000+ in the past 12 months
3)Worked on a large contract in the past 12 months

however point 3 i.e large contract criteria is not properly decided for example i work as dedicated security expert/hack/malware cleaning expert and 100% sure that max contract cost will never exceed $1000-$2000 so even if i have capacity/eligible to qualify for TopRated Plus..i will never be qulify as cost Estimation of large contract in my category will never exceed $1000-2000

I guess many such capable freelancers dedicated to specific field/work/sub category will never be qulified for "TopRated Plus"

i request to re think on this large contract slab

12 REPLIES 12
petra_r
Community Member

Sumitra wrote:

i request to re think on this large contract slab

The entire purpose of the Plus badge is "large and/or long term contracts" so obviously it would be pointless to have a badge for freelancers with a history of successful large/long term contracts and then remove the large/long term contract requirement, wouldn't it?

I mean to say that in my work category i do have taken large or long contracts however costing/max cost of that can never match money slab criteria you have decided,in this case you haven't taken into account of small categories of parent stream,ideally large contract cost varies as per sub category also.

Ideally badge ratings should be indication of quality/expertise/capacity of that freelancer and not on contract cost he has got.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Sumitra, 

The criteria for a “large contract” is specific to the contract category. We base these amounts on the opportunities currently available on Upwork. For example, in certain categories, a large contract might be one with earnings of $5,000 but in others, it might be a $20,000 or $30,000 contract. You may read more about it here. 

Just the same, thank you for sharing your feedback about the Top Rated Plus badge. I'll share your feedback with the team.

~ Avery
Upwork
madgulkar
Community Member

Hi Avery,

Thanks ..yes exactly this is only my concern,my category 'security work' has large contract limitation of $1000-2000 hence i qulify for first 2 points but not 3rd,hence you might think of this issue also so that capable freelancers dont miss Top Plus because only as they have not got max contract of $5000,it should be $1000 for security work category.

Sumitra M wrote:

...so that capable freelancers dont miss Top Plus because only as they have not got max contract of $5000,it should be $1000 for security work category.

There are top rated plus freelancers in your category and the Top Rated Plus badge isn't meant to be on every profile by lowering the requirement to almost nothing.

I dont say to put it for every profile!,but high cost contract cannot be the criteria for Top Plus badge only as getting high cost doesnt mean expertise of freelancer.hight cost contract rule cannot be generally applied it should be also considers sub catgory wise,its complex issue. 

Sumitra M wrote:

I dont say to put it for every profile!,but high cost contract cannot be the criteria for Top Plus badge only as getting high cost doesnt mean expertise of freelancer.hight cost contract rule cannot be generally applied it should be also considers sub catgory wise,its complex issue. 

You are missing the point. The entire purpose of the "Plus" badge is that the freelancer has a history of successfully completing high value/long term contracts. There is nothing complex about it. It's not designed or supposed to identify "expertise" - it's specifically about contract size. 

missingthepoint.png

Sumitra M wrote:

Ideally badge ratings should be indication of quality/expertise/capacity of that freelancer

They are.

Top-rated plus badge holders have to meet the same criteria as top rated. I.E., a JSS of 90% + in 13 of the previous 16 weeks. The minimum amount earned required for the Top-Rated Plus badge is 'in addition to' the Top-Rated JSS requirements. TR Plus badge holders have to provide good quality + have had large contracts.

Jamie F wrote:

Sumitra M wrote:

Ideally badge ratings should be indication of quality/expertise/capacity of that freelancer

They are.

Top-rated plus badge holders have to meet the same criteria as top rated. I.E., a JSS of 90% + in 13 of the previous 16 weeks. The minimum amount earned required for the Top-Rated Plus badge is 'in addition to' the Top-Rated JSS requirements. TR Plus badge holders have to provide good quality + have had large contracts.

Yes, but surely you can understand the point that he's trying to make. "Plus" does imply that the holder of this badge is superior to mere top-rated plebs (who are so numerous that the badge is no longer any real advantage). Clients don't know that the badge is awarded for having done a $5,000 contract (or whatever the category minimum is), and from what I've heard, "plus" freelancers have seen a considerable increase in their invitations as a result. I don't expect that Upwork will change the requirements, but I think it's understandable that there will be some bitterness from those of us who will probably never be able to get this badge no matter how hard we try or how good our work is.

Exactly Christine A!

This is what i wanted to mention,Instead of getting my point some of the people trying to make fun of my point!,anyways as its policy decision of Upwork our limitations are restricted to only suggest them,nothing else we can do!,thanks for explaing it proper way!.

Christine A wrote:

Jamie F wrote:

Sumitra M wrote:

They are.

Yes, but surely you can understand the point that he's trying to make. "Plus" does imply that the holder of this badge is superior to mere top-rated plebs (who are so numerous that the badge is no longer any real advantage). Clients don't know that the badge is awarded for having done a $5,000 contract (or whatever the category minimum is), and from what I've heard, "plus" freelancers have seen a considerable increase in their invitations as a result. I don't expect that Upwork will change the requirements, but I think it's understandable that there will be some bitterness from those of us who will probably never be able to get this badge no matter how hard we try or how good our work is.

I didn't get that from his explanation.

Regardless, I do agree that there needs to be more clarity for clients on what the badges are and why they are awarded. Especially the expert vetted badge. I'm not expecting to be invited to the test, but I don't think I'd accept if I was. From what I can gather it's been more of a hindrance for some freelancers. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths