🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » My Client Decided She no longer needs to move...
Page options
838f35c8
Community Member

My Client Decided She no longer needs to move foward with the job

I was working with a client and we were able to finish a video edit job. Once finished, she wanted to try a different version of the video. She then realized she no longer needed this new version so the job is done and finished, however, she had already put the money into escrow. Now I need to cancel the job and send her a refund but I am scared Upwork is going to penalize me for it. What is the best way to move forward with this?

1 REPLY 1
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "My client decided that she no longer needs to move foward with the job."

That is fine.

Clients are welcome to end contracts at any time.

Freelancers are welcome to end contracts at any time.

That is an integral part of freelancing.

re: "Now I need to cancel the job and send her a refund but I am scared Upwork is going to penalize me for it. What is the best way to move forward with this?"

Upwork will not penalize you for this.

This is all part of the same contract, correct?
And you have already been paid SOME money for the contract, correct?

As long as you have been paid at least one dollar, then this does NOT count as a "zero-pay contract." So in no way will you penalized for refunding some escrow money to the client.

If the client funded $100 for the next task, and you haven't done any work on the next task, then simply ask the client to close the contract and request a full refund of all remaining escrow money. She can edit the amount of money to be released so that it is zero dollars. Then, when she closes the contract, you will be asked to agree to the refund. Go ahead and do so.

She will have closed the contract satisfied with your work, and having paid you some money for the original editing task. And everything will be fine.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members