Page options
ladycamp14
Community Member

My Client Scammed Me

5 REPLIES 5
luce-neidert
Community Member

That wasn't a client, it was a scammer.

Beware, there are lot of scammers on Upwork baiting newcomers into their scams. I'm not sure you have followed Upwork's simple rules such as never accept to contact a new client outside of Upwork, never start working until you get sent an offer through Upwork.

If you don't know how Upwork works, learn about it before offering to work for scammers! There is plenty of information about the rules available on Upwork and on this forum.

We had our contract and payment all through upwork. That was why I wasnt suspecting because I thought the transaction was protected. 

martina_plaschka
Community Member

My client told me that he just needed someone to submit his own work because he cannot do it himself. It seemed like he is in another contract which is why he cannot post it under his name. In return, he will give me 30% of the amount for the job posting that he assigned to me.

None of this makes any sense to me. You should never work with a client giving you strange, obscure and unverifiable reasons for why the can or can't do something. 

renata101
Community Member

Hi Eurmaris,

I'm sorry this happened to you.

It's hard to understand what you're saying about the job though. It sounds like a chargeback scam, but there might be something else going on because you were asked to submit or post things for the client.

You say the client needed someone to post articles for him (maybe under your own name or using your own account), but did he also ask you to pay for anything with the money he sent you? Also, what was he asking you to post?

This is a good article to read if you're new to Upwork:
https://community.upwork.com/t5/Community-Blog/Top-Red-Flags-for-Scams-From-Community-Member-Wes-C/b...

It was just posting. Nothing else. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members