🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » My Client Wants to Create a Milestone but no ...
Page options
vevj24
Community Member

My Client Wants to Create a Milestone but no Active contract

Hi 

I have a client who wants me to start working on a project. I asked him to create a milestone so I can start working on the project. Unfortunately, he doesn't know how to create one. I checked my existing contract if there is a way for me to request for a milestone, but there is no active contract between us for the specific project. Turns out he didn't accept the proposal.

We got connected over a year now. He hasn't hired me to work on any project. Now, he wants me to do a project. He wants me to start working and promise to pay. I told him I cant start working without an active milestone or contract. He said he doesn't know how to create one that allows him to create a milestone. 

Is there a way we can reconcile this? The original job post is already closed so there is no way I can resend a proposal. 

Please advise.

Thank you

9 REPLIES 9
prestonhunter
Community Member

Genevieve:
There is no way for a client to create a milestone, or fund an escrow payment, without an active contract.

It is easy and free for a client to create a new contract. That IS a viable option, and it is how Upwork intends for their system to be used.

ALSO: A client CAN pay you using the "pay bonus" tool WITHOUT an active contract. A client who has a CLOSED contract with you can make a bonus payment. So one option is for the client to make a bonus payment for a task, and then you can work on that task.

williambernal
Community Member

GJ,

Do NOT, under any circumstances, begin work or provide work for free to this--or any-- "client".

The Upwork Terms of Use are very clear-

"4.1 EXAMPLES OF PROHIBITED USES OF THE SITE:

Requesting or demanding free services, including requesting Freelancers to submit work as part of the proposal process for very little or no money or posting contests in which Freelancers submit work with no or very little pay, and only the winning submission is paid the full amount"

Providing free work to shady clients damages the entire platform, directly harms all FL's (particularly those in your specific niche), and encourages unscrupulous client schemes.

Work smart, work safe!

wb

allergywriter
Community Member

Just explain that you will begin work as soon as he issues a contract.

He can click on your profile and hire you very easily.

If he's put you off for a year, there's a good chance he is looking for free  work. Don't give it to him.

Just be firm and let him know that with no contract no work gets done.

re: "He said he doesn't know how to create one that allows him to create a milestone. Is there a way we can reconcile this?"

Yes.

You tell him that he does NOT need to create a milestone or a fixed-price contract. Tell him to go ahead and create an hourly contract.

At this point, you don't really want to work on a fixed-price contract with this client, even if he somehow miraculously figures out how to create one. He has shown himself to be flaky. Many experienced freelancers would have already blocked this time-waster in the Upwork tool.

vevj24
Community Member

Thank you, guys. Turns out this guy is up for free work. He got pissed when I told him he needs to create a contract before I could start working. And added that I was just wasting his time. 😄 Anyways, thank you for your replies. Appreciate it!

Genevieve:

Thanks for telling us the rest of the story.

You're awesome.

Sorry this "client" was wasting your time.

In all seriousness, I recommend that you go to the job posting and flag it for "asking for free work", or otherwise report it to Customer Service. You can send a Private Message to a Forum Moderator.

We should all work together to remove people like this from the platform.

But don't talk to him at all. You have nothing to gain by communicating with him in any way.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Genevieve, 

I would recommend that you follow Preston's advice, and flag the job post as inappropriate so that it goes to the team's queue for their review and action. 

Since you are new, I highly recommend that you read up on the "Safety First!" section of the freelancer resources we have compiled, and these tips for avoiding questionable jobs for more information about working safely through Upwork.

~ Avery
Upwork
vevj24
Community Member

Yes, will do that.

Thank you
tlhogid
Community Member

Thanks for everyone's responses on this. It is very helpful to me as I am new on th eplatform and this is the second time I am experience sktechy behaviour similar to that described by Genevieve. I will proceed as advised!

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members