🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » My Client has gone AWOL, please what do I do?
Page options
chelsea-okonkwo
Community Member

My Client has gone AWOL, please what do I do?

My client has gone AWOL for a month. She stopped responding and didn't approve the submission until it was automatically released to me. Earlier, she would come online and I would see that she was away, she would then leave without responding to messages I dropped. Now, she hasn't even showed up at all. I'm afraid this inactivity would hurt my Job success score as I am on my way to becoming Top rated. The work is still incomplete and I need her to activate the second milestone so that I can make the final submission. Please what can be done?
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
wescowley
Community Member

There's nothing you can do but wait until (and if) she comes back and activates the second milestone. You got paid on the first one, so having this open contract will not impact your JSS.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
wescowley
Community Member

There's nothing you can do but wait until (and if) she comes back and activates the second milestone. You got paid on the first one, so having this open contract will not impact your JSS.

I don't think of a client who is not around as AWOL.

If a patron comes to my restaurant today, that is great. If she comes the next day, that is great. If she does not come to the restaurant for the next 30 days, she is not "AWOL." She simply is not patronizing my restaurant.

If a client does not need my services right now, that is fine.

Every fixed-price milestone I accept is one that I can finish and submit on my own, even if the client never shows up again. So I do my work and submit it and get paid. A client who is not around just means I don't need to answer any questions or make any changes gets before getting paid.

This means that you don't understand. The entire project was split into two, one is the first draft and the other is the completion of the draft. We are done with the draft and I just need to submit the final document only after she activates the second milestone. There's nothing like what you described in your comment. Thank you

Hi Chelsea,

Could you please share the contract ID of the job you're referring to so I can check. You can also send it to me via PM by clicking on my name. Thank you. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

I just sent the contract ID to your inbox. Thank you.

Thanks, Chelsea!

~ Joanne
Upwork

It's best to think of each milestone as a separate contract. As far as Upwork is concerned the client is free to end the job after any milestone.

P.S. I've only once done a job with multiple milestones from the start. All my other fixed price jobs have started as a single milestone, though sometimes more milestones have been added later for additional work.

Chelsea O wrote:
This means that you don't understand. 

No, i means that you don't understand.

Once you have received payment under a contract (regardless of the amount, as long as it's over $ 1.00) it doesn't hurt the JSS.

The client clearly doesn't have any interest in the final document now, which is why she isn't responding.

You can leave it open a whie longer, in the unlikely event that the client comes back, or close it. Neither will hurt your JSS unless the client leaves poor feedback.

Thank you for your help. I'll wait
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths