cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Client is Blackmailing me and asking for free work?

drshahidmahmood
Shahid M Member Since: Jun 21, 2015
1 of 16

My client asked me to add six pages at the end of about 200 MS Word files. It was a complex job consisting of files in 18 different languages and full-paged ungrouped charts. He provided the files through Dropbox. We agreed on it for $150/-. When I delivered the work, the client blamed me that I have used the wrong files. I was astonished. Then I realized from his words that he has changed the original files at Dropbox. 

To keep my repo and good relation with the client, I redone all the job with new files within the next 12 hrs. But again he was not happy.

I provided him with the screenshots and told him my work is flawless. Then he realized that his provided files have some extra pages in between. 

Now he wants from me to remove all extra pages from 200 files for free and he is calling it "Changes".

I told him that removing pages was not part of our agreement. You have to assign a new milestone for that.

But he warned me that if I will not do this extra work (Which he is calling changes now) he will not release the funds.

So, What should I do? Any idea?

kat303
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
2 of 16

It sounds like you went Way above and beyond the scope of work that was originally agreed on. (especially if the files were changed After you worked on them.) 

IMO he has, such as you have, every right to open a dispute. Perhaps it should be you that opens the dispute first. Be prepared to take it all the way to arbitration as that may be the only way a binding, final decision will be made. Note - each of you, if you decide to go that route, must pay an arbitration fee of $291. That fee will bot be returned to you no matter what decision is made. The only way you get that fee back is if the other party, in this case the client, doesn't pay that fee. Then you get both what's in escrow and the $291 fee back.

wlyonsatl
Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
3 of 16

If you think you have fulfilled the work you agreed to do, immediately submit it to your client via the green Submit button on the project page to get the ball rolling on getting paid within 14 days.

He sounds pretty disorganized. If he claims the work as submitted doesn't fulfill your agreement, ask him why,

If he's right, do what it takes to complete the work. The 14-day clock for your payment keeps ticking.

If he's wrong, make sure you understand what else he now wants done and tell him how much it will take you and what his cost will be under a new, fully-funded milestone.

Don't let pandering to the JSS system stand in the way of doing what's right for you and what's fair to the client.

yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
4 of 16

On top of everything else, it doesn't require any technical skill whatsoever to delete a page from a Word doc. The client is too lazy to do it himself 200 times so he expects you to do it for free. That's absurd, when it was his mistake putting the extra page there in the first place.

Shahid M Member Since: Jun 21, 2015
5 of 16
It's not that simple in complex word documents cosisting of dozen of text boxes and graphics. Deleting six pages from the middle of a document ruins all the formatting of remaining pages. The document will become a mess.
prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 16

This is probably not related to the original poster's problem...

But a programmer would tell you:

Any time you need to do the same thing 200 times, you shouldn't be using Microsoft Word.

jr-translation
Community Guru
Jennifer R Member Since: Sep 15, 2017
7 of 16

Preston H wrote:

Any time you need to do the same thing 200 times, you shouldn't be using Microsoft Word.

I spend two years fixing word documents written by programmers. People either know how to format in Word or they don't.

shefen
Community Leader
Sheila F Member Since: Apr 6, 2017
8 of 16

Years ago I spent several months programming Word to format chemical data (text files) into tables for publication (Springer-Verlag). But then I had previously worked full-time as a Production Editor with Academic Press, so I knew a little something about formatting tables, chemical formulas, numbers, breaking tables across pages, etc.

I was actually surprised at what it was possible to get Word to do - between crashes that is, had to keep the file sizes down.

I used Word in a later job to format whole directories of text files. It would load each file in turn, do the formating, saving as a .doc to another directory. I would launch the program and walk away, leaving the computer screen flashing and doing all the work.

yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
9 of 16

Preston H wrote:

A Word expert can perhaps create a macro to automate the process, but I'm no Word expert so that's probably an over-simplification. 

Jennifer R Member Since: Sep 15, 2017
10 of 16

Shahid M wrote:
It's not that simple in complex word documents cosisting of dozen of text boxes and graphics. Deleting six pages from the middle of a document ruins all the formatting of remaining pages. The document will become a mess.

That is when the formatting wasn't done properly to start with.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS