cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Client is Blackmailing me and asking for free work?

drshahidmahmood
Shahid M Member Since: Jun 21, 2015
11 of 16

Yes, I have submitted work formally and then after all hard chat, the client requested changes formally.

And again I resubmitted the payment request with following message

"100% work already submitted.
Requested changes do not belong to the work that I have performed.
It is additional work and as per upWork policy "no free work".
You have to create a new milestone for that."

martina_plaschka
Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
12 of 16

Shahid M wrote:

Yes, I have submitted work formally and then after all hard chat, the client requested changes formally.

And again I resubmitted the payment request with following message

"100% work already submitted.
Requested changes do not belong to the work that I have performed.
It is additional work and as per upWork policy "no free work".
You have to create a new milestone for that."

You could have worded this is little better. You don't want to come across as unfriendly, but rather helpful. So skip the class on what upwork thinks. 

Next time, try this:

Dear John, I see that you require additional work to be done that was not part of our original agreement. My estimate is that it will take me 2,5 hours to perform the task. Kindly create a new milestone for xyz dollar amount. 

feed_my_eyes
Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
13 of 16

Shahid M wrote:

My client asked me to add six pages at the end of about 200 MS Word files. It was a complex job consisting of files in 18 different languages and full-paged ungrouped charts. He provided the files through Dropbox. We agreed on it for $150/-.

Shahid - You've already received good advice about your current problem, but in the future, I would advise you not to agree to format 200 documents for $150 in the first place. How many hours have you spent on this already? Clients who expect you to work for so little money are NOT going to end up being good clients!

Take a look at any of the problems in the forum - you hardly ever see freelancers saying, "My client hired me for $50/hour and now they're being demanding and unreasonable." No, it's always the clients who pay 50 cents an hour who end up being jerks. Can you not see the connection?

jr-translation
Community Guru
Jennifer R Member Since: Sep 15, 2017
14 of 16

Christine A wrote:

Shahid M wrote:

My client asked me to add six pages at the end of about 200 MS Word files. It was a complex job consisting of files in 18 different languages and full-paged ungrouped charts. He provided the files through Dropbox. We agreed on it for $150/-.

Shahid - You've already received good advice about your current problem, but in the future, I would advise you not to agree to format 200 documents for $150 in the first place. How many hours have you spent on this already? Clients who expect you to work for so little money are NOT going to end up being good clients!

Take a look at any of the problems in the forum - you hardly ever see freelancers saying, "My client hired me for $50/hour and now they're being demanding and unreasonable." No, it's always the clients who pay 50 cents an hour who end up being jerks. Can you not see the connection?

I do not think it is your place to critizise the rate for this job. Depending on where you are living. I guess if I would still be at university I might have said yes to the job. People on this platform have different rates and adding 6 pages to 200 documents is not the hardest job to start with, it is only frustrating if the formatting is messed up.

feed_my_eyes
Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
15 of 16

Jennifer R wrote:

I do not think it is your place to critizise the rate for this job. Depending on where you are living. I guess if I would still be at university I might have said yes to the job. People on this platform have different rates and adding 6 pages to 200 documents is not the hardest job to start with, it is only frustrating if the formatting is messed up.

I understand that not everyone works for the same rates. I was giving advice on how to avoid bad clients, and I stand by this advice. 

jr-translation
Community Guru
Jennifer R Member Since: Sep 15, 2017
16 of 16

Christine A wrote:

Jennifer R wrote:

I understand that not everyone works for the same rates. I was giving advice on how to avoid bad clients, and I stand by this advice. 

I am just not sure that the rate offered was that bad. The OP needed 12h for the 200 files. That's $12,5/h which is more than the minimum wage in Germany.

The problem is that the client made a mistake when he delivered the files. I can imagine 3 scenarios:
1. The client is the business owner and wanted the job done quickly, messed it up and tries to have his mistake fixed for free.

2. The client is an employee with the permission to hand the task to a freelancer and then made a mess sending the wrong files several times. Afraid of loosing his own job he tries to have his mistake fixed for free.

3. Said employee farmed out the work and then made a mess sending the wrong files several times. Afraid of loosing his own job he tries to have his mistake fixed for free.

In any case the OP has very good chances to win arbitration if the client is even willing to spend $291 just for the chance to get his $150. The JSS will suffer I think a polite and short reply to whatever feedback will be given is the only think the OP can do. I would not agree to more work without a milestone being funded or even an hourly contract.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS