🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » My Client is black mailing me for the rating ...
Page options
mildsol
Community Member

My Client is black mailing me for the rating and not paying me

Hi,

I am a "Top-Rated" freelancer and putting my efforts day and night into this account. I know I earned a "Top-Rated" badge and I really mean it. All my clients are quite happy and some are ongoing clients you can see my feedback but one of my clients is blackmailing me for the rating. Yes, I used the correct word "Black Mailing". I scraped data for 4 weeks per month and after that scrapping, I got 15$. But he is not accepting my new milestone and telling me if you do not work I will give you 1 star and this will ruin your profile. It's really a case of disappointment and mental torture for me. How a single man can ruin my 3-4 years of effort with single feedback. Please help me out of this situation. I want to close this thing.

11 REPLIES 11
tagrendy
Community Member

Top Rated freelancers are able to remove 1 feedback every 3 months given that you've completed 10 projects since last time a feedback was removed. If you're eligible for this, you can remove the feedback. However, if it's a small project his bad rating may not effect your profile that much anyway. Report the client, requesting free work is against Upwork rules, you will help other freelancers that he will try to abuse as well.

a_lipsey
Community Member

Feedback manipulation is strictly against Upwork's TOS. I recommend you screenshot and report the messages sent by the client in Upwork message center. 

mildsol
Community Member

I will definitely show you a screenshot but He is interested in emails. Now I messaged him to communicate through the Upwork message centre only.

aitringo
Community Member

The fact that this project doesn't pay well is good news for you.
Maybe even with 1 star, you won't lose much in JSS: I say that because JSS is now weighted by dollars generated by contracts.

Besides, in the worst case, with 33 projects, you might not lose more than 3%. But I don't think so, I think it will be less.

After all, you can always use the removal perks, it helps a lot for clients like this one!

petra_r
Community Member

Mohamed A. A wrote:

The fact that this project doesn't pay well is good news for you.
Maybe even with 1 star, you won't lose much in JSS: I say that because JSS is now weighted by dollars generated by contracts.

Only to a degree, When someone has very few contracts in the relevant calculation window, one outcome has a massive effect regardless of the value.

Mohamed A. A wrote:

Besides, in the worst case, with 33 projects, you might not lose more than 3%. But I don't think so, I think it will be less.

That's faulty maths!  He doesn't have 33 contracts that are closed and have feedback and ended less than 2 years ago.

Only 5 are in his 6-month window and only 9 are in the 1-year window, so either of those could and likely would be affected by more than 10% easily. Only the 2-year window could be safe provided it was "the best".

mildsol
Community Member

Yes Petra, You seems to be right. I have long term clients.

JoanneP

Hi Azaz,

Could you please share the contract ID of the job you're referring to so I can check?

~ Joanne
Upwork
mildsol
Community Member

Hi Joanne,

Here is the contract link "https://www.upwork.com/ab/f/contracts/28234198". Most of the communication is done on Zoom meetings.

Thanks

Hi Azaz,

Thank you for your message. I am sorry to hear about your experience with a client. I'll have one of our customer support agents reach out to you directly to assist you further.

Thank you

Pradeep

Upwork
martina_plaschka
Community Member

I would not worry about this for a second. End the contract, have the feedback removed with the top-rated perk. 

Martina P wrote:

I would not worry about this for a second. End the contract, have the feedback removed with the top-rated perk. 

If he has it available...

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths