cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"A few hours if you're motivated"

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
11 of 57
[quote=Marc B.]In my case I passed the test, and the clearly stated agreement was that one would get paid for passing the test, not for getting hired. [/quote] In fairness they state absolutely everywhere, on their own site, in their correspondence, and in each and every one of their job postings exactly how they do it. You do not get paid for the test at all. If you pass the test you get a one week trial and that trial is only paid for *IF* the trial leads to them hiring you. Personally I do consider that to be "sharp practice" but nobody is forced to accept it. It's clear, and as a contractor I can choose whether to take it or leave it. I may, if the right position came along, decide to gamble a week's work on getting offered the contract. Or I may not. Whichever way it goes, I'd know that it is a gamble. Also, in fairness, I know several people who work for them and say the same as was stated before: If you can run your own show, deal with pressure, and don't need hand-holding it's a great company to work for. They promote from within and are good payers. Mostly the negative comments come from people who were not hired.
Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
12 of 57
[quote=Petra R.]Mostly the negative comments come from people who were not hired.[/quote] Exactly, and most people don't get hired because they lack comprehension skills and/or can't follow basic instructions. The trial week is very easy to pass and it's not even a 40 hr week. You just have to familiarize yourself with the material and pass a few tests. Takes no more than 10-12 hours (if you take your time) and you still get paid the full 40 once you pass. So while it's a bit of a gamble, that gamble does get rewarded with 30 extra hrs paid.
Community Guru
Tony H Member Since: Nov 10, 2011
13 of 57
I recently received an invite from gTeam for $30/hr. I was mistaken while commenting on gTeam in another thread a while back, it is actually not the same company as I thought it was. I called the number listed on their website for the US office, and the fellow I spoke with didn't know who gTeam were. So after reading more, I realized that their parent company has been bought out a few times. I listed all the company names to the support fellow from their website, and he eventually found that the last one was indeed one of their clients. I guess the number gTeam provides on their website is actually for another company which manages something for a bunch of companies. Long story short, the support guy said that the parent company was no loner a client. So... tracking down gTeam was a dead end. I wanted to talk to someone about their hiring policy. I have no problem doing some sort of test to demonstrate to a client that I could help them. I actually do it very often....however, that usually consists of about a 30 minutes telephone consultation. IN the case of gTeam a full week (or a few hours as they say if you're motivated)is too much for my personal liking. I would consider working with gTeam if they offered a rate that was made sense for me, and was able to actually talk to an HR manager about it. BUT... that seems to be easier said than done considering their own published US office phone number is a dead end Smiley Happy
Community Guru
Margaret P Member Since: Jul 7, 2007
14 of 57
The US rate is $30/hr but they only give you $24/hr because they take the rest for "W2 processing". Way too little to commit to a full time job, with a lot of rules and regulations and defined ways of working and little freedom.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
15 of 57
[quote=Tony H.] So... tracking down gTeam was a dead end. I wanted to talk to someone about their hiring policy. I have no problem doing some sort of test to demonstrate to a client that I could help them. I actually do it very often....however, that usually consists of about a 30 minutes telephone consultation. IN the case of gTeam a full week (or a few hours as they say if you're motivated)is too much for me Smiley Happy[/quote] The "few hours if you're motivated" is the testing before the trial phase, and is never paid for. If you "pass" that it's followed by a contract for one full week, which is paid if they hire you, not paid if they do not.
Harm M Member Since: Mar 15, 2013
16 of 57
I have had a very bad experience with the client you are talking about (can't name it or Admin will remove it). Applied for the testing engineer and during the trial the manager/trainer told me to make undocumented changes to the test environment in order to make test pass and finish the tasks assigned. If I have to explain why this is a very bad idea then you should not be a tester. On the first couple of undocumented errors and warnings in the environment I did get creative but needed confirmation that the solution applied was the right one; it took more than 27 hours for a reply and most of the replies didn't answer anything but basically told me to "read the instructions". Even when pointing out where exactly instructions were lacking information or ambiguous. If I were to work with badly documented instructions and unresponsive team members the quality of my work would be greatly affected by this so I decided not to finish the assignment or take the job. So now I will most likely get nothing for the time I put into this even though it's my opinion that failing to successfully complete the assignments was not my fault and I even tried very hard to communicate with "team" members. I would advice against accepting any job offers from the client you all talk about, if the trial period is an indication of their working methods. It also is a shame that oDesk allows them to post in the hourly section where the project they offer is not an hourly project. Clients that change conditions from hourly to fixed price before hiring should generally not be trusted.
Racha A Member Since: Jun 18, 2013
17 of 57
Helloo , Im really concerned to work as a freelancer from home need this type of Job urgently and while I was surfing on elance I found the **** and **** and it was for me like I found a treasure as im telecommunication engineer with 10 years experience in management so I found many of positions matching me and I sent proposals and I received finally for most of my jobs request to accept terms and milestone and doing the test online .Need your advise should I continue or its really fake and will have nothing from what they mentioned as they mentioned 30 dollars per hour ! I don't have time to waste it in fake companies as I need to work asap and if its so can you please guide me where can I find real and true freelance work ? Waiting for your reply please asap. *[Removed by Admin]
Harm M Member Since: Mar 15, 2013
18 of 57
Racha, the company isn't fake. It's just that they have you do a test and when you pass the test they have you work for a week as another test. If you finish the assignments they will pay you for that week. If you don't then they won't pay you. They do however hire tons of people to do the one week test and only a small amount will pass so chances are you're going to be wasting a week and not get paid anything. It won't cost them anything (except their reputation) to have you do test assignments for a week so the more people they can have do these test assignments the better. On odesk they'll invite hundreds if not thousands of freelancers, there isn't an odesker that hasn't been invited for one of their "we will pay you if we hire you but waist a week of your time time if we don't" jobs. The second problem I had with this company is that while trying to do the assignments the first week the documentation wasn't clear and wrong in many places. I applied for testing engineer opening and in order for me to finish the assignment I had to make undocumented changes to the test environment and the software to be tested. Pointing this out resulted in nonsense responses pointing to the same documentation but not answering any questions. These responses usually take about 27 hours so if you are in need of information and can't continue without it you might as well take the day off. If they can't even provide proper support for the test assignment (documentation and answering questions) then I can imagine what it would be like working on projects that aren't going to be the same every time. It would be like working for an unresponsive client that is unclear about his needs and complains later that the work is either too late or not done right. I generally try to avoid such clients no matter what they pay.
Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
19 of 57
[quote=Tony H.]I recently received an invite from gTeam for $30/hr. I was mistaken while commenting on gTeam in another thread a while back, it is actually not the same company as I thought it was. I called the number listed on their website for the US office, and the fellow I spoke with didn't know who gTeam were. So after reading more, I realized that their parent company has been bought out a few times. I listed all the company names to the support fellow from their website, and he eventually found that the last one was indeed one of their clients. I guess the number gTeam provides on their website is actually for another company which manages something for a bunch of companies. Long story short, the support guy said that the parent company was no loner a client. So... tracking down gTeam was a dead end. I wanted to talk to someone about their hiring policy. I have no problem doing some sort of test to demonstrate to a client that I could help them. I actually do it very often....however, that usually consists of about a 30 minutes telephone consultation. IN the case of gTeam a full week (or a few hours as they say if you're motivated)is too much for my personal liking. I would consider working with gTeam if they offered a rate that was made sense for me, and was able to actually talk to an HR manager about it. BUT... that seems to be easier said than done considering their own published US office phone number is a dead end Smiley Happy[/quote] gTeam and gDev are one and the same. You probably confused the heck out of the person on the phone and they simply didn't know what they or you were talking about. Trust me, they do not want to discuss their hiring policy or anything else for that matter. You follow the process or you don't, but a company with 1000s of people looking for hire several dozen people per month, has no time to discuss matters with each person individually.
Sabine R Member Since: Jun 20, 2013
20 of 57
Hi Suresh, I am curious to know whether you actually got any work from this client in the end? To everybody: I got an invitation from them today, but many things I am reading about them seem like red flags to me. Especially that they cast such a vast net; trying to practically put as many people as possible through their trial period. How serious are they about actually hiring people? If there are actual jobs, are they the employer or are the actually a staffing agency? In which case wouldn't they be in violation of odesk rules? Thank you
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS