🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: My first project
Page options
lismey
Community Member

My First project as a Freelancer

Hi to all,

I have already done my first project as a Freelancer successfully. Now, my second client wants proof of my finished projects, but I cannot share this information, what do you recommend me to do? .

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Lismey V wrote:

What I mean is that now I have another new project with another client. And this new client wants to see examples of my finished projects. What information should I share for this client to hire me?

Surely you have examples of your work from before you joined Upwork? Show one of those with your prospective clients.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
AleksandarD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Lismey,

I checked and it seems that you submitted work for payment and your client will have 14-days to review the submitted work and request for changes. If your client doesn't come back to you to request for changes, the money in escrow will automatically be paid to your account. You may read more about getting paid for fixed-price contracts in this help article. After that, the Contract can be ended and the feedback left for both parties. Feel free to follow up if you have further questions.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Hi Aleksandar,

What I mean is that now I have another new project with another client. And this new client wants to see examples of my finished projects. What information should I share for this client to hire me?

lismey
Community Member

Hi to all,

I have already done my first project as a Freelancer successfully. Now, my second client wants proof of my finished projects, but I cannot share this information, what do you recommend me to do? .

Lismey V wrote:

Hi to all,

Lismey,

Did you sign an NDA for the first project?  Why can't you share finished projects?  What about work done off the platform?

I have no idea what you do since your profile is set to private.  If the above is not possible, do a test project (writing, translating, etc.) for a made-up client and sent that over.  

Expect clients will want to see past work.  Why should they trust you can do it?

Hi Robin,

My profile is public since yesterday. Maybe this was the problem. Thank you very much for your help.

Regards to all,

Hi Lismey,

I'm sorry about misunderstanding your question. I see that other Community members already shared great advices on how to showcase your past work using the portfolio. Feel free to check out this help article for some helpful tips and guidelines in the "portfolio" section. Let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Thank you very much Aleksandar,

Have a nice day,

Robin H wrote:

Lismey V wrote:

Hi to all,

Lismey,

Did you sign an NDA for the first project?  Why can't you share finished projects? 

Because as per Upwork's ToS, unless your clients have specifically agreed otherwise, you can't show anything you created in the course of an Upwork contract to anyone because it isn't yours.

Petra R wrote:

Robin H wrote:

Lismey V wrote:

Hi to all,

Lismey,

Did you sign an NDA for the first project?  Why can't you share finished projects? 

Because as per Upwork's ToS, unless your clients have specifically agreed otherwise, you can't show anything you created in the course of an Upwork contract to anyone because it isn't yours.

For writing, there are traditional allowances for authors, even anonymous ones, to disclose authorship and display samples or links. These require consent of the copyright owner, which may be best sought (and granted or denied) at the beginning of a contract. Upwork actually has an after-the-fact opt-out system of seeking client permission, but a before-the-fact agreement eliminates any misunderstandings or unrealistic expectations.

zoe007
Community Member

Hello Lismey,

Congratulations on completing your first job.

I would suggest you let the client know you're relatively new to the platform and share previous work examples (pre-Upwork experience) that would be relevant to the job post.

If you don't have an exact match of past work examples, articulate how you would approach their job for them. Try not to spend hours on it though😀.

If the client is interested in your proposition, they'll let you know.

All the best,
Zoe
Thanks for your help with this matter.

All the best,
Zoe
lismey
Community Member

Thank you Zoe  

kbadeau
Community Member

Since your profile is not public I can't even see what field you're working in, but did you do other work outside of Upwork that you can share?

Did you sign an NDA with your first client? Even when I do, as a graphic designer they know I'll want to put something in my portfolio, so after I complete a project I will usually ask to display certain portions of the project in my portfolio. Upwork of course holds items under review even when I have client permission, to give the client a chance to give my portfolio materials official Upwork permission before the images go live.

petra_r
Community Member

Lismey V wrote:

Surely you have examples of your work from before you joined Upwork? Show one of those with your prospective clients.

Lismey:

It is completely normal for clients to want to see your past work.

I don't post past work unless I have permission from the client to post it.

Some of the pieces in my portfolio are projects that I did, but ended up not getting paid for, so the work belongs to me, and I don't need to get permission to post it.

Many of my portfolio pieces are things I created specifically for the purpose of putting them into my portfolio.

You can do that. Think of the types of work that you can do for clients, and create work that demonstrates your skills. You are the "client" and the owner of these items, so you don't need to get anybody's permission to post them in your portfolio.

Also: The Upwork portfolio interface allows you to select past Upwork projects and generate an official request that is sent to the Upwork client - to ask them if you can include the item in your portfolio.

Thanks for the suggestion, I didn't know that.

mtngigi
Community Member

Lismey V wrote:

Hi to all,

What Petra said - and you simply explain that you can only share samples you have a client's permission to use in your portfolio. Some clients are not aware that we do have jobs with clients that prefer to keep their jobs private.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths