cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My JS increased from 82 to 100

Community Leader
Cristian F Member Since: Jun 21, 2015
1 of 18

I was waiting for today JS update to see any changes on my profile because I had 2 contracts completed since the last update.

When I first opened My Stats page today I was at 82 (same as last update on 28 Jun) However, the update changed to 12 Jul but the score was the same. After a few hours I see the score changed to 100.  Attached is a screenshot. I have covered all the private numbers because I don't know if I am allowed to show them. They are good numbers, I can assure you.

JS update 12 Jul.png

Does anybody noticed any major change on their profile? Do think it's a bug or there has been any update on the algorithm?

Thank you

Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
2 of 18
There is no bug. All it means is that the score switched to your 6 month line at the moment, which happens to be at 100%.
---- easy like Sunday morning ----
Community Leader
3 of 18

Hi Setu,

Thank you for replying here and here. Now everything makes sense. I felt like the JS score is calculated exclusively based on the last 24 months activity. That's obviously an incorrect statement.

It's good to know that JS score is chosen between the best score for 6 months, 12 months or 24 months.

Regards

Community Guru
Sandra T Member Since: Nov 26, 2014
4 of 18

Hello Setu,

do you know/can you explain why the score switches from one line to the other or what triggers the system to decide to do so?

Thanks and best regards

Community Guru
Angela L Member Since: Oct 20, 2009
5 of 18

They have updated the JS help article since I last read it. I do not recall the part about using whichever figure is better of your  6 mo/12 mo/24 mo score before.

"The Upwork system takes snapshots of your 6, 12 and 24-month history in the marketplace and calculates a score for each. The best score out of these rolling windows is displayed on your profile and updated about every two weeks."

So now, every two weeks when the system recalculates your score, it will look at what your score would be for each of those time frames, and displays the highest one. 

Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
6 of 18

@ Sandra,

Angela has given a good reply.

The theory is that they (Upwork) wants the best of the freelancer to be shown and at the same time highlighting positive trends or changes. Your longest term average (2yr - for those here long enough) would be the truest reflection of your abilities. But if a freelancer was showing great improvement in the past 3 months for example, this would be swallowed up by the 2yr average and barely get reflected until 2 years time.

By switching to the 3 or 6 month line a JS score can easily jump to 100%, reflecting that the freelancer has improved greatly over the most current time period. Conversely, if a "good" freelancer has a 90% 2yr average and unfortunately gets 3 or 4 consecutive jobs from "bad clients. That 3/6 month line would reflect poorly with a low JS score percentage.

Therefore the system would display the 2yr average, since this would be the truest reflection of the freelancer's work. Of course, if that poor 6 month performance goes into a year etc, then the 2yr average will begin to suffer also.

---- easy like Sunday morning ----
Community Leader
7 of 18

I joined oDesk in 2012 and used it for part-time work, usually small projects since I had "regular" full-time jobs. 

I remember that last year (July-August 2014) I had 3 unsuccessful contracts because of various reasons, not exactly my fault but I could have done better that's for sure.  If anybody is interested in these reasons, I can share them, otherwise I don't feel it's necessary to write a long post Smiley Happy

Anyways, when JS was introduced, mine was 80. It was clear to me that I was affected by those 3 contracts. I've learned how to avoid the same mistakes and the good thing is that in the last 2 months I got hired a few times: 6 closed contracts and 5 in progress. It seems the clients appreciated my work, the public feedback is good, probably the private feedback is also good. Today my JS changed to 100.

As Setu mentioned before, the quickest way to improve the JS score is to improve the last 6 months score by doing good work for good clients. Until today I wasn't aware of this, I thought JS was calculated based on 24 months activity. Not 6 months or 12 months activity.

I know many people are wondering how to improve their JS and I think that's the best way to do it. It's not guaranteed but could work, I mean it happened to me.

Community Guru
8 of 18

Thanks for the explanations. I get the bit about the system choosing the best of those possible results being displayed.

However, my JC dropped, and I don't understand why. My "not so good performances" are more in the past, the contracts I had over the last six months all have good public feedback, my recommendation score droppen from 90 to 88 about a month ago (the update from every five contracts must have kicked in then). I had no new or finished contracts over the past 4 weeks  (last contract was closed on June 2nd).. Instead, my long-term client score finally kicked in (from 0 to 11) as I've been working for a client on a regular base since the beginning of April.

I'm not too concerned about the drop, but I'd still like to understand where it came from. I managed to increase my JC by taking on smaller gigs, which isn`t an option at the moment as I am busy with the work I have.

The only thing different in the past two weeks was that I didn't make full use of the hourly limit I have with that one ongoing contract as I have been on holiday. But that surely can't play into JS?

Community Leader
9 of 18

Hi Sandra,

I took a quick look at your Upwork profile and saw a contract which was closed in July 2013.

That's 2 years ago and probably it got eliminated from the calculations. I am not 100% sure about this, but could explain your drop. That looks like a succesful contract to me. This seems the most logical answer to me, based on the fact you had no new contract since the last JS update.

It seems pretty hard to determine by yourself which timeframe has the best score: 6, 12 or 24 months. You need to keep track of every contract, every update and there is also the private feedback plus the long term clients bonus. Who knows what else is in that algorithm Smiley Happy

Something like this looks helpful if you want to keep track of your JS score.

Community Guru
10 of 18

Thanks Cristian, that seems to make sense. I had briefly glanced over my job history, but probably missed that one.

I hadn*t seen Setu's calculation (brilliant!) in the other thread either, as I have a hard time keeping up with the forum and the subject is scattered all over the place (wishing for a single pinned thread).

I agree, there are many variables to take into consideration, it is hard to keep track of all of them. It is great how some people here in the forum provide such valuable information, albeit I wish Upwork itself would contribute more.

Ultimately, I agree with Setu's comment in the other thread (better performance=better score) and I think Preston's comment somewhere on how SJ score better reflects performance than star-rating by itself. In my case it definitely gave me a decisive kick in the... after my score was down to 67. Right now I am a little discouraged because I worked hard to build it back to 88 (almost 90, yay!), and now the drop nevertheless. Oh well, time to hand-pick a few decent short jobs again once I get the time. Eww... Smiley Happy

Thanks and best regards.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS