🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: My JSS dropped to 88% without apparent re...
Page options
gemma_cavina
Community Member

My JSS dropped to 88% without apparent reason

Hi! I have a 100% success rate from my clients' reviews, but today my Job Success Score abruptly dropped to 88%. Despite the fact I didn't know this could cause a "penalty" until today, I think it could be for some old open "dead" contract (on one occasion, I have finished the job but the client forgot to close, on the other one the client has almost disappeared and the contract remained there). I closed these contract now, but my rate is still 88%  😞
Working with this score is really hard, especially in content writing field: will it return normal soon, in your opinion?
Thank you for your time and advices 🙂

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Gemma C wrote:

But, in this case, what's the sense of this system?
I don't know where and when I made a mistake. I see only 5-stars reviews, nobody told me about its lack of satisfaction... I would like to know who and why mainly to improve and understand 😞
When I give feedback to the client, there isn't something "secret", I'm right?
Sorry if I insist, and thank you for your kindness, I just want to know better the system 🙂

There's a ton of chatter on the community about the pro's and con's of private feedback and I urge you to read through some posts if you're concerned.  

You will never know who gives you poor private feedback.  Then it wouldn't be private. You can just try your best on every projects - communication, deliverable, attitude, etc.  

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
petra_r
Community Member

Gemma C wrote:

Hi! I have a 100% success rate from my clients' reviews, but today my Job Success Score abruptly dropped to 88%.

It didn't drop today. It is only updated once every two weeks, on a Sunday. It will update again this coming Sunday.

Gemma C wrote:

Despite the fact I didn't know this could cause a "penalty" until today, I think it could be for some old open "dead" contract

They have no effect provided money was paid under such a contract (!! very important) and you do not have an insane percentage of such contracts, which you don't.

Gemma C wrote:

I closed these contract now, but my rate is still 88%  😞

It would not make any difference, and the next update is not until Sunday anyway, so even if it did have an effect, it would not become visible until Sunday.

Unless there is a contract that has been open for more than 2+ months with nothing ever paid under it, or you had a cancelled or fully refunded contract (The algorithm hates contracts with no money ever paid, open for a long time or closed), it is far more likely that you had not-so-great private feedback on one of your contracts.

Thank you for your fast answer. I'm quite new on Upwork, and I ignore some stuff.
Actually, I have a couple of contracts open from two months (more or less) without any money transactions. Maybe it could be this.
What do you mean with "private feedback"? The only feedback I know about it's the 5-stars feedback + review. I read accurately the rules several months ago but I don't remember. 

It seems quite strange to me because I really have had a nice and positive relationship with my client until now...
Thank you again.

robin_hyman
Community Member

I reviewed your profile.  The lower JSS is caused by less-than-perfect private feedback.  I would guess it came from the clients who give you 5 stars but no written feedback.  

Oh! So if someone doesn't write feedback I can lose reputation like this? 😞

Gemma C wrote:

Oh! So if someone doesn't write feedback I can lose reputation like this? 😞

No.  Having no written feedback will not have a negative effect on your JSS.  I'm guessing they clicked on 5 stars but were not 100% satisfied.  Everything else on your profile wouldn't cause your JSS to drop this much.

I don't know where and when I made a mistake. I see only 5-stars reviews, nobody told me about its lack of satisfaction... I would like to know who and why mainly to improve and understand 😞
Sorry if I insist, and thank you for your kindness, I just want to know better the system 🙂

Gemma C wrote:

There's a ton of chatter on the community about the pro's and con's of private feedback and I urge you to read through some posts if you're concerned.  

You will never know who gives you poor private feedback.  Then it wouldn't be private. You can just try your best on every projects - communication, deliverable, attitude, etc.  

Ok, Thank you so much. You have been so kind and precise.
I ignored this fact of private feedback, It sounds strange to me because I had really good communication and relationship with my clients until now. Nobody ever complained.
I hope the drop was caused by the "dead" contract on my profile (I closed them this morning) and not because lack of client satisfation.
Have a nice evening 🙂

Sorry If I bother you, one last question: I have checked on my stats the "client who would recommend you" line and the score is 100%.
It's still possible a bad private feedback, in your opinion?
Thanks a lot again.

Gemma C wrote:

Sorry If I bother you, one last question: I have checked on my stats the "client who would recommend you" line and the score is 100%.
Thanks a lot again.

That is telling.  No, I don't think it is bad private feedback then.  A mystery!  Maybe someone else can chime in?

So, maybe it has been for the "dead" contract that I had in my profile. I had a couple of jobs that for different reasons were there without money exchange and communication. Mainly for my inexperience, probably, I let them open.
Let's see. Now I have closed them, so we'll see the consequences in some weeks.
It's a mystery Smiley Surprised
Thank you again for your support.

Gemma C wrote:

So, maybe it has been for the "dead" contract that I had in my profile. I had a couple of jobs that for different reasons were there without money exchange and communication. Mainly for my inexperience, probably, I let them open.
Let's see. Now I have closed them, so we'll see the consequences in some weeks.
It's a mystery Smiley Surprised
Thank you again for your support.

It won't change. Contracts with nothing *EVER!!* paid are bad for the JSS, it does not matter if they are open for 2+ months or closed. They will continue to be bad for your JSS until they fall out of your JSS calculation window.

Gemma C wrote:

Thanks a lot again.

It is possible because that is only updated every few contracts.

But as yoou said that you have open contracts with nothing EVER paid, that is what is causing it.

Why do you have contracts where nothing was paid for 2+ months? That can actually be rectified by simply earning something-

Probably it could be this.
I'm going to check.
You are really kind and prepared! Thank you!

Gemma C wrote:

There is no sense to this system. I understand that what they are trying to do is allow clients to leave honest feedback without fear of retribution but it's a pretty ridiculous way to run a business. Upwork: "We freelancers on our platform to be the best, but if a client is unhappy for any reason, we don't want the freelancer to know why." I don't think 99/100 clients have any idea that their bad feedback here can have such an effect on freelancers.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths