🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: My JSS is going to take a hit. How do I m...
Page options
bilal1983
Community Member

My JSS is going to take a hit. How do I minimize it?

Good Day!

I accepted an offer a few days ago, but before I could start working on it, I was offered a better rate and overall better work hours/schedule, preferrable job description etc. So I accepted a renewed contract with the old client.

All this time I have been in touch with the new client as well, and he has been really understanding and wishes me well, and says lets leave it, and he will look for someone else.

Now, I have a contract with no work, no earnings. It's my understanding that I if this contract is ended it will reflect negatively on my JSS. Is this right. Or does that happen only if the client also gives a negative private feedback.

Although we agreed to end the contract on good terms over chat, the client might leave a not so good private feedback, understandably so.

I politely asked him to initiate the ending of the contract, but he hasn't done it yet. Should I close the contract myself or wait for him.

As of now, the contract remains active. What should I do.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Bilal M wrote:

Now, I have a contract with no work, no earnings. It's my understanding that I if this contract is ended it will reflect negatively on my JSS. Is this right.

No, that is not true. It used to be true but hasn't been since 2020. It would only have a negative effect if the client left poor private feedback.

Bilal M wrote:

I politely asked him to initiate the ending of the contract,

That is VERY unwise. It is the LAST thing you want. Simply close the contract yourself, and hope the client won't leave feedback at all. Thank the client for their understanding and close the contract straight away.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
petra_r
Community Member

Bilal M wrote:

Now, I have a contract with no work, no earnings. It's my understanding that I if this contract is ended it will reflect negatively on my JSS. Is this right.

No, that is not true. It used to be true but hasn't been since 2020. It would only have a negative effect if the client left poor private feedback.

Bilal M wrote:

I politely asked him to initiate the ending of the contract,

That is VERY unwise. It is the LAST thing you want. Simply close the contract yourself, and hope the client won't leave feedback at all. Thank the client for their understanding and close the contract straight away.

Thank you, Petra.

I was confused at the time, and was trying to recall the things I had read earlier, and I thought closing a contract myself was not advised, but in this case it IS the better option like you said.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Always follow this (unspoken) rule:

1. When you expect good feedback, ask the client to end the contract. 

2. When you expect bad feedback, wait a couple of weeks and end it yourself. 

3. Never mix those up. 

Thanks Martina, never going to mix them up now for sure. My JSS is going to drop now, but I have read that not everyone expects it to be 100. So, hopefully I can improve it over time.

But, it's alright, I knew it was bound to happen. I'm human, I make mistakes... 

bilal1983
Community Member

But theres more...

There is another active contract, I was working on this for a few weeks, and the client had promised growth, more responsibility and higher pay rate.

Whem I informed him, that I had received a considerably better offer, he expressed that he will pay me higher than what others are offering over a Zoom call, and asked me how much I wanted to remain with them, as they had some plans for me. I gave them my revised rate over email later that day and he refused saying that they can't agree to that rate (although he had mentioned that number on Zoom call). And he said I think we should continue on the same pay since you can't agree to give us full-time hours.

During all this, the earlier scenario also played out, where I had accepted the new contract.

I had also contacted an even older client who use to give very few hours per week and the lowest hourly pay too. I discussed ending the contract with them but they said they'd hate to lose me and unexpectedly agreed to pay me way higher and my preferred schedule. Plus, I liked working with them too, their pay was just too low.

So, basically there is another contract about to end, and who knows how this client might take it. I have a Zoom meeting with him tomorrow to discuss. 

I am thinking I should hold out on closing the contract myself. All clients have been on extremely good terms with me till now, as I have always over-delivered.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members