🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » My JSS score decrease after client cancel his...
Page options
runwpro
Community Member

My JSS score decrease after client cancel his job.

Hello, everyone.

I hope to know the reason.

I have accepted one job last week.

Client asked me slack account for better communication and I said it was not good by following upwork policy.

He asked it for many times for me and he said he couldn't work with me if I didn't provide slack.

Finally, he canceled this job without any working and earning.

After 2 days, it is just updating date for my profile and my score's decreased from 85% to 70%.

I am feeling really sad.

Do you know what the reason and my mistake was?

Thanks for your advise.

7 REPLIES 7
2a05aa63
Community Member

It's ok to use slack or anything else after a contract is started. Cancelled jobs = unhappy client = decrease of JSS.

yitwail
Community Member

Le, contracts canceled without payment will decrease JSS as Viacheslav pointed out, but your mistake was refusing to use Slack as the client requested. I have a contract that's lasted longer than 2 years in which all communcation is done in Slack. Upwork DOES NOT prohibit communication outside Upwork messaging. The ONLY THINGS prohibited are receiving payment outside Upwork and providing contact information in your profile.

Le Vu B wrote:

Hello, everyone.

Client asked me slack account for better communication and I said it was not good by following upwork policy.

He asked it for many times for me and he said he couldn't work with me if I didn't provide slack.

After 2 days, it is just updating date for my profile and my score's decreased from 85% to 70%.

I am feeling really sad.

Thanks for your advise.

If you refuse to use Slack, you're gonna have a bad time here. Most clients don't like to use Upwork chat messages for various reasons (trust and reliability are the two big reasons).

A lot of my clients use Slack.

Especially when there are multiple people working on the same project simultaneously.

petra_r
Community Member

Le Vu B wrote:

I am feeling really sad.

The reason is that the client will have left very poor private feedback on the contract.

Your mistake was repeatedly refusing a perfectly normal and reasonable client request.

As was pointed out, there is no rule against communicating with clients outside the platform, there never has been. You wasted the client's time because you didn't simply clarify the use of slack the first time the client asked, and instead waited until the client was at his wit's end trying to work with a freelancer who is refusing to follow instructions.

tlbp
Community Member

Le Vu B wrote:

Hello, everyone.

I am feeling really sad.

Thanks for your advise.

As others have said, using Slack is not against Upwork's policy. If you don't want to use Slack or other communication channels that is your choice. But, you may want to ask clients about their communication requirements before entering into the contract. Most clients will assume that you are willing to use team collaboration apps. So you need to be proactive about setting your boundaries. 

My recommendation to all Upworkers is to create a professibeonal communications platform and have it available for use at clients' discretion.  Let's cover some basics:

- Upwork will not get hostile if you move a CLIENT off of Upwork-centric communications.  Meaning email and video conf platform.  What they want to avoid is doing so while in the winning-work mode.  Which is fair.

- Once a client has been won: shift to the best-fit communication platform for you.  I bring this array:

1. My own personal SLACK platform. 
For small teams it costs nothing.  This allows multi-task messaging, as another respondant indicated, for example.

2. A Zoom conference platform.  One version is free; I use mine so often a pay a few dollars a month for the Professional package.  Reason: it is vastly easier to hold multi-participant meetings, including participants outside the client's contract -- 3rd parties for example.

3. A dedicated GMAIL account, used only for Upwork, so I can monitory 18x7

Bottom line.  When I apply for work, I literally place into the appropriate responses -- the fact I do bring this well-formed, plug-and-play communications profile.   We run a business, part of our business is communicating, and we bring value to clients with best fit tools ready to go,.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members