Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Job Success Score Dropped By 20%

protozzq
Milan N Member Since: May 8, 2016
1 of 15

Hello, Upworkers.

Recently, I signed up a contract with a client. Unfortunately, he was not satisfied with how I had done the job and requested a refund.

Being extremely tolerant, I decided to not take any measures.

However, two weeks later or so, my job score dropped by 20%, thus causing me to lose my Top Rated badge. I suspect the main reason for losing the badge is the unsuccessful contract.

If I had known it would affect my job score, I would not have done it that way.

What I want to ask is if there is any solution to bring my Job Score back to < 90%. If yes, how?

CEO at HIREQUARTERS
https://hirequarters.com/
This widget could not be displayed.
2 of 15
This widget could not be displayed.

@Milan N wrote:

Hello, Upworkers.

Recently, I signed up a contract with a client. Unfortunately, he was not satisfied with how I did the job and requested a refund.

Being extremely tolerant, I decided to not take any measures.

However, two weeks later or so, my job score dropped for 20%, thus causing me to lose my Top Rated badge. I suspect it is because of that unsuccessful contract.

If I had known it would affect my job score, I would not have done it that way.

What I want to ask is if there is any solution to bring my Job Score back to < 90%. If yes, how?

Do not offer writing in languages that are NOT your native language. 

miroslav84
Community Guru
Miroslav M Member Since: Jan 21, 2016
3 of 15

Do write in any languages you are able to use proficiently. The way you acquired a language proficiency does not really matter as long as your skills are great. However, you still need to improve your English language skills. The grammar mistake you made in this thread's title is horrific from an average client's perspective.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 15

@Miroslav M wrote:

Do write in any languages you are able to use proficiently.

How's that practice working out for you?

I honestly think people should only write in their native / native level language(s.)

They may be able to get away with it for other equally non-native clients, but it will bite them in the proverbial when the clients themselves are native English speakers, resulting in poor feedback and dropped JSS...

miroslav84
Community Guru
5 of 15

It is solely up to clients. Maybe thes are not much about perfect grammar (as many people still do not even speak perfectly their own native languages) but it is often compensated with higher  quality writing skills.  Some grammar mistakes are tolerated by clients who are willing to hire proofreaders or proofread text themselves whenever they conclude that way is more cost-effective to them than any other option. And it is not uncommon.

Speaking of me, I have not had any language-related complaints recently. My JSS is a result of many factors, including work with new clients, poor communication with certain clients and Upwork's back-end errors. 

I agree with you about cases where neither the client nor the freelancer is a native speaker ofthe language.. In cases like that one is unable to control the final outcome of what is written and even when a third party proofreader is hired to fix the language they can find it way too difficult to achieve from what is given.

I may not be the best writer around but I know many cases about non-native English writers who perform very well and who are par with "premium" native writers. And some of them make even more, despite the fact they have to overcome the natural marketing handicap of not being native.

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
6 of 15

@Miroslav M wrote:

It is solely up to clients. Maybe thes are not much about perfect grammar (as many people still do not even speak perfectly their own native languages) but it is often compensated with higher  quality writing skills.  

Oh my gosh. Sorry Miroslav I don't want to be rude but you just illustrated the worst part of this platform, with low quality providers meeting with low quality clients and dragging the whole site down.

Higher quality writings, huh? There is no high quality writing in any language when one cannot even master the grammar.

I am sure that those people are persuaded to be writers, they may even be sucessful with low paying clients, but writing in a foreign language will never make you a writer.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
7 of 15

@Rene K wrote:

Higher quality writings, huh? There is no high quality writing in any language when one cannot even master the grammar.

I am sure that those people are persuaded to be writers, they may even be sucessful with low paying clients, but writing in a foreign language will never make you a writer.

EXACTLY....

miroslav84
Community Guru
8 of 15

Rene,

I am not offended at all and I am fully aware of what are you talking about. However, that issue deals with some possibly sensitive things. So the question WHY are there low-profile freelancers and low profile clients. 

I wish none of us was low-profile and the minimum going rate be $30 an hour. But the fact that it's not the case deals with much deeper and complicated things and issues.   Luckily, there seems to be enough room for people from any price/quality market segment. The problem is that some freelancers will NEVER hike their rates and they even ignored the Upwork's new pricing plan regarding that. 

For me in Serbia it is OK to work at $8 an hour or even somewhat less, since it exceeds local average and median gross hourly rates by far  but what to say about those residing in the US who perform at $3-5 an hour. I see such cases on nearly every job posting. I often ask myself how can someone survive there by doing that? But still it's their (mine, yours...) choice and the same applies to clients. Take it or leave it. Let's just all of us hope that things will alter in the future.

mueeduljahan
MUEED U Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
9 of 15

Hello Milan,

If it has not been too late (14 days) you may use the top rated perk "removal of feedback". If you were a top rated feelancer and it has just happened  due to that bad feedback score of that client, then I think you can still use that perk to remove that feedback score. According to upwork, If you drop out of the Top Rated program because of a dip in your Job Success score, you have two weeks from your status loss date to submit a feedback removal request.

Please contract upwork center as soon as possible to make sure if you can use that perk. 

For more information please visit,

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/219801228-Top-Rated-Perk-Feedback-Removal

protozzq
Milan N Member Since: May 8, 2016
10 of 15

To make myself clear, I will have to clarify a few points.

First of all, the client had no problems with my writing skills, but plagiarism. Namely, before distributing a piece to a client, I always check it on Copyscape for any potential results. 

I did it so, but the client was not content because when he copied the text on Google, he found a few matching sentences, which he found particularly unacceptable.

Second of all, he requested a refund, and I played along with that. I did not want to get into a dispute with him. So, no feedback from both parties. However, it seems that this ended contract affected my job score, which suddenly dropped by 20%. 

If I had known it, I wouldn't have let that happen.

CEO at HIREQUARTERS
https://hirequarters.com/
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS