cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Kingdom for a Block Function

sixtiesdad
Stephen D Member Since: Oct 15, 2015
1 of 15

Alright, I'm only in my second week here, but after searching through a few thousand jobs I'm already weary of tripping over those I've either replied to or rejected.   I don't speak Japanese.  I never will speak Japanese, and I'll never apply for that job proof-reading a Japanese novel.

We need a block function for removing jobs (and clients) from our searches.  I can see now that my time spent searching for jobs here will run into the hundreds of hours before long, and over half that time will be spent reading the same irrelevant job descriptions umpteen times before they mercifully drop off.

The dating sites let members block other members, so it can be done.  The blocked members are moved to a list where they can be individually unblocked, "all" unblocked, or removed from the list automatically if the blocked member withdraws from the site altogether.  Here a "block" button just under the "save job" button could then ask "block job" or "block all jobs from this client".  Yes, I've seen the "advanced search", and it helps a little.  Something else is involved though:  In photography, deleting bad pictures can be a way to build a photographer's confidence, and also to shape his or her self-image.  The same thing happens when dating, and it can apply here too.  "I don't do dishonest user reviews".   Click!

Do you know why Mac computers boot up so much faster than PCs?  Because Steve Jobs insisted on it.  His engineers told him that it couldn't be done, but he calculated how much human time would be wasted worldwide with those extra seconds waiting for millions of Macs to boot up, and essentially shamed them into coming up with a way.

If this has already been addressed here, or if we already have a block function and I haven't found it yet, then I'll be  embarrassed.   But it'll be worth it to stop wasting all this time with impossible search results.  

owens-phil
Ace Contributor
Phil O Member Since: Oct 19, 2015
2 of 15

I think you can use the '-' for what you don't want to see e.g. writing -translation will search for all writing jobs except the ones with 'translation' in them. I think it works the same way as Google search, but haven't experimented with it too much yet

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
BEST ANSWER
3 of 15

Stephen, there may be hope.

During the past month, Upwork product manager Tam has appeared in the forum saying he is working on blocking jobs from reappearing on job feeds after a user deletes them once.

I have to assume this can be applied to job search results as well, because Tam is the product manager for job search.

View solution in original post

sixtiesdad
4 of 15

Preston,

I'll be glad if that happens!

Wait... "deletes them once"?  You can delete them?  Are you talking about "unsaving" them?

prestonhunter
Community Guru
5 of 15

re: Wait... "deletes them once"? You can delete them? Are you talking about "unsaving" them?

I am talking about clicking a little X button or something that dismisses the job from appearing in my own personal job feed.

I saw the job, I considered it and I don't want to see it, so I delete it from my feed. What has happened in the past is this worked during my current session, but when I left and came back, the dismissed jobs reappeared. Tam is working on making the dismissal of jobs become permanent.

sixtiesdad
6 of 15

I've not seen that at any time, and I can't find it now.  Hopefully that means that they're working on it!

Fingers crossed, and thanks!

pandoraharper
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
7 of 15

@Stephen D wrote:

I've not seen that at any time, and I can't find it now.  Hopefully that means that they're working on it!

Fingers crossed, and thanks!

Like Preston says, they are working on it. they removed the X about hmm 30 days ago. Last update was about a week after that. So like so many other things, we may see a working version of this eventually, but I urge you to not hold your breath.

On a more social note, when I saw your post title yesterday, I laughed out loud. Almost spit out my coffee. Great thread title.

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
8 of 15

@Preston H wrote:

....I have to assume this can be applied to job search results as well, because Tam is the product manager for job search.

Preston,

I'm afraid that may be an unfounded assumption. I recall @Tam saying feed (his bailiwick) and search were different "products" overseen by different "teams"(?). Perhaps he'll stop by to confirm or correct.

Best,

Michael

droleary
Community Guru
Darrin O Member Since: Jan 20, 2015
9 of 15

How big is your Kingdom?  I've long considered writing a browser plug-in to make upwork.com function better than Upwork is willing to make it, but it just wouldn't be worth it for my own personal use.  I'm probably not the only one, either.  If you really want to get something like you describe done, post a job and see who applies.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
10 of 15

re: "I've not seen that at any time, and I can't find it now.  Hopefully that means that they're working on it!"

Stephen,

Yes, that's what it means.

Tam said he realized that this button was not working the way people expect, and that its temporary-only functionality was more confusing than worthwhile. So he removed it entirely and said he would only reinstate it when it is working permanently.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS