cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: My Money Held Hostage Day Two:

Seitu H Member Since: Jun 3, 2016
1 of 15

Add me to the long list of frustrated freelancers that have to wait an extra 6 days to get their escrow payment. I know my complaints have fallen on deaf ears as I have written a few emails and recieved the same corporate speak replies about money "settling" in the account. You'd think the funds  would be "settled" after sitting there for the two weeks it took to complete the job. Elance never did that. The only reason I can see is to squeeze more interest out of those escrow funds before giving them to the freelancer. Hey Upwork here's an idea: cut that wait period to ONE DAY if you have to do that to appease your shareholders. My client has their art and they are happy. At this point I have nothing and am-Smiley Frustrated

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 15

You could go to the park and set up an easel and draw humorous caricatures of tourists and pedestrians, and they'd pay you cash and you would get your money instantly. Problem solved.

3 of 15

Sorry park sketching won't cut it for me. I'm a storyboard illustrator and conceptual artist that worked on staff at Leo Burnett,  JWT, O&M, FCB and...oh yeah,  ELANCE where the jobs didn't pay as much but never sat on your escrow funds.

Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
4 of 15

Yep, that would be Preston alright!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
BEST ANSWER
5 of 15

Seitu,

In the real world, I invoice my offsite clients at the end of every month, and I am lucky if I get paid two weeks later. Neither Upwork nor Elance made/make any interest on escrow funds. 

Upwork has been working on making the wait a bit shorter, but I doubt on a fixed-rate job that the 14-day period for a client to assess a freelancer's work is going to change. So you could wait from between 6 to about 2O days before you get paid. One has to budget accordingly. 

Edited to add: And a brilliant cartoon, lol - sorry, I didn't look at it until now! Smiley Happy

6 of 15

I have freelanced for ad agencies for 20 years in addition to working on staff  and I have watched the time to get paid stretch from 30 days to over 90, but the compensation was so much better you didn't mind waiting. Some agencies have changed policies  like FCB where you are a freelancer, but they pay you like a staff employee a week or two after you complete the work with taxes taken out. I will be patient now and shut up and wait for my cash Tuesday. LOL

Community Guru
Sandra T Member Since: Nov 26, 2014
7 of 15

Wow, nice. I think a tip might be in order? Smiley Very Happy

@Seitu,

while I don't think the waiting period is too long, I think Upwork could do a somewhat better job in explaining the reasons behind the security period. I too thought about possible interest at first. The subject has come up in the forum on multiple occasions, Upwork has stated that there is no interest and has explained a bit about security reasons, but you'd have to dig through the forum for that info. You'd also find respective info on recent tests to shorten the security period. It sounded fairly promising and I'd expect there to be an announcement in due time.

Community Guru
8 of 15

Seitu: that drawing is hilarious.

Now I'll have to check out your portfolio for sure...

Community Guru
9 of 15

re: "Wow, nice. I think a tip might be in order?"

No tip.

But I have purchased the cartoon from Seitu using an Upwork contract.

I really enjoyed the raw, immediate and personal nature of the work. I couldn't pass up the opportunity to own it. It is now featured in my personal database cartoon collection on a website I won't reference here.

The contract stipulated that I would be changing the text, by the way. I am using it for marketing purposes, after all.

DBGenius_cartoon_park_sketch_screenres.png

Community Guru
Christy A Member Since: Dec 30, 2015
10 of 15

Lol that drawing is awesome.  You're probably going to have 85 profile views this week.  

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS