Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Money Held Hostage Day Two:

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
11 of 15

I understand people wanting to get their money more quickly. What I don't understand is the repeated expressions of outrage from so many that the platform is working exactly the way the TOS said it would.

If the many people who make the statement that the six day hold is "absolutely unacceptable" mean it, I'm very curious about what inspired them to take the active step of establishing a relationship with a company that operates on that basis.

Highlighted
Seitu H Member Since: Jun 3, 2016
12 of 15

I think the outrage is from people that worked on Elance like myself and used to get paid instantly for escrow jobs. The other platforms like Freelanced, Guru  and Fiverr seem worse to me in terms of the kind of the work I do (storyboards and advertising illustration) and have been able to get. To me it's part of the overall devaluation of creative services that been happening for over a decade. I give myself a low mark for not really checking out the difference between Upwork's pay rules and the company they conquered. That one's on me.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Sanja D Member Since: Dec 18, 2013
13 of 15

A few months before Elance was closed, they introduced 5 day "security period" - but that was implemented only on amounts $100 and higher...I think 

One thing I don't understand with this security period is this...let's say the client wants to own the rights (I do mostly logo designs and most of my clients want that). From a clients perspective, once they release the funds, they should own the rights. From my perspective, once I get paid, the client can own the rights. But - who owns the rights in the meantime? Client has released the funds, but I didn't get anything...that's kinda confusing...

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
14 of 15

For all practical purposes, if the client has initiated payment, the client owns the rights.

It's not the client's fault that Upwork takes a while to release money to you, and then it may take a while for the money to reach your account.

Remember, if it's a fixed-price contract with funded escrow, the client's credit card was charged as soon as they funded escrow, which was probably when they hired you. So be sensitive to the client's perspective: She already paid a long time ago. No client wants to hear a contractor claim ownership of the logo they were already charged for because of some technicality.

And if it's an hourly contract, the client always owned all the work, as soon as it was created.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
15 of 15

@Preston H wrote:

And if it's an hourly contract, the client always owned all the work, as soon as it was created.

No. Not until it has been paid (by the client) - so everything done this week is owned by the client Monday (provided the payment goes through, obviously)

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS