🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » My Pending Funds Got Reversed
Page options
wani_e_sheya
Community Member

My Pending Funds Got Reversed

Hi Upwork Community,

Maybe somebody can answer me, one week ago I am supposed to withdraw my funds which is pending. I am excited in that week because finally after 10 days of waiting I can withdarw my fuds which I work hard on it. But unfortunately it happens that my pending funds suddenly got REVERSED or RETURNED to my client's account. I don't understand why.

But before that happens, 2 days before I think I received an email from Upwork that my client's account has been suspended so I talk to my client and he said he will fix it. So, he fixed it and he says no problem at all anymore. So, worried no more on my end that day.

But,but suddenly when I check my funds it has nothing left, I cried I am so upset. When I checked into a history it says there that it was returned to the client's account. 

May I ask if is there a chance that my funds will be back to my account?

I hope somebody can answer me.

Thank you!

Wilnie

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Wilnie,

I'll have one of our support agents reach out to you to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

~ AJ
Upwork

View solution in original post

28 REPLIES 28
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

If Upwork said that your client was suspended, you should have waited for them to tell you that it everything was okay again, and not trusted this person. Scammers target data entry freelancers. What was the job, and for how much money?

Hi Chrisyine,

Good day! Thank you for your response.

Actually my first job with this client was okay i worked full time and I consumes 40 hours and my hourly rate for that was $34 per hour. Everything was okay I got paid on that. But in the second time he reduced my rat it became $29 per hour I have no problem with that. But suddenly when the week end and I fullfill the task for that week suddenly I received an email from upwork that my client's account was suspended. I told him about that and he said he will fix and after a day it says my funds was already pending and I have no doubt anymore. But unfortunately when I checked my funds because I am about to withdraw that on that day I checked it was gone already I mean Upwork says it was reversed. I am so upset, I talk to my client I chatted him but he only said, he doesn't know what is happening. I let myself to be calm to him, I am expecting he will pay me for my hardwork for that week. But nothing, he even not replying to me.

And just last tuesday August 23 he contacted me, he said i have task apply for $29 per hour. I accepted the job, I said to myself maybe this time he can pay me. But on friday August 26 I received an email from Upwork that his account was suspended again. Oh God, this is the second time around that I will not be receiving a payment,huhuhuh..

Please help me, is this man a scammer?

I am begging him to pay me for my hardwork but he is not replying if I open up about that topic.

I am so upset I don't know why Upwork let his account verified.

I'm afraid your client was using your services fraudulently and issued a chargeback.  Unfortunately, unless you were using the time tracker, there is nothing you can do about it, and even then you would probably have lost out. 

@Upwork. It is high time this company did something about this type of fraud. 

Hi Nichola,

I am using the Upwork Time Tracker, I thought I am safe an protected. As far as I know only Fixed price is not protected if I am not mistaken.

My first job to him was okay I got paid we agreed if the funds will be available to my account on Upwork I have to payback to him the 60% and mine is 40% and I am okay with that. My first job to him I am so happy because I got paid.

Then suddenly to my second job and third now unfortunately it always happened chargeback or reversed funds.

Wilnie Jay Ann Z. S wrote:

My first job to him was okay I got paid we agreed if the funds will be available to my account on Upwork I have to payback to him the 60% and mine is 40% and I am okay with that.

What do you mean - why did you have to pay him back 60%? This sounds like money laundering, which is illegal.

wlyonsatl
Community Member

Wilnie A.,

If your client's account was suspended but has now actually been unsuspended, if I remember correctly your client will now need to issue you a bonus in the same amount as the reversal of the amount originally due to you. Upwork will not try again to take the money from the client's new payment method, so you'll have to ask the client to issue the bonus.

If he doesn't issue you a bonus, you'll know he's lying about the problem with his payment method being fixed.

Please come back here and let us know how this turns out for you.

Hi Will,

Good day!

Thank you for your response.

I think this man is a scammer, the first job he was able to pay m3 I am so happy on that. But the second and unfortunately third time now he wasn't able to pay me. I am begging him to pay me or give me a bonus for my hardwork 2 weeks of hardwork 80 hours I work hard but he never pay me, I cried and upset.

Why Upwork let this man's account to be verified.

Look sis, verified ID has nothing to do with the honesty of a client in Upwork. The only and best way to judge  is by seeing the reviews. that's why many freelancers avoid new clients or ask for milestone payments.

And did you report it to upwork? 

wani_e_sheya
Community Member

Hi Md,

His account says payment method verified, I thought in that profile I am safe the freelancers are safe. 

Anyways, I am accepting the fact now that I am used and scammed with my client.

For being 12 years in Upwork, this is my very first time that I encountered this kind of client that never pays for the freelancer's hardwork.

My rate for my job to him is $29 per hour  full time 40 hours and we agreed 60% to him and 40% mine.

But sad to say 2 consecutive weeks I workes 40 hours each week but even a single centavo he never pays me. He nevee replied for my messages to him.

I'll just accept that I am used and scammed.

What do you mean by 60% to him and 40% for you? Are you paid 29$/h and sending him back 60%. If this is the case, how do you do that?

Yes Sophie, we agreed on that. I agreed on that since on my end I still paid but it only happens on the first job I got paid. For the second and third job 40 hours eac week I worked hard, I am not receiving payments already. It always says that his account got suspended and have to chargeback.

I though I am protected with the Upwork payment because I am using time tracker and I am a fixed price contract.

How do you pay him back?

Through payoneer.

It was very bad idea. It mean you was scammed for sure.

Also it is Upwork rules violation.

Yes, I think so also.

You making payments outside Upwork is a violation of Upwork's Terms of Services. Being paid at a high rate and giving some back should have been a red flag not to participate in that scam.

Sorry, but I am not making any payments outside upwork. I have a payooner account which is linked to my Upwork I've been using it  a year. When I give the 60% share to my client I'm gonna send to hin thru payoneer.

If you are logging in directly in your Payoneer account to make the payment to a direct payment account of client and Upwork can't deduct any fees, it is considered outside Upwork.

No, I mean before I withdrawn my funds to my payoneer account. Upwork 20% deduction already deducted. But anyways, that was happen for my first job to him and it was succesfully withdrawn to my payoneer. My problem now is that, he never paid me for my second job I did and also this week for my third job to him, this week actually.

I don't mean to be insensitive, but how on earth did you think that this could end well? Your hourly rate is 8 USD and for the last jobs you have been paid around 3-4 USD per hour. 

Then suddenly a client wants to pay you about 30 USD per hour, plus they want a fraction of their money back? 

I hardly could imagine a more sketchy situation. Plus, as a freelancer, you are not supposed to give a single cent to any client, nor to make transactions outside of Upwork.

If a contract sounds too good to be true, then probably it isn't.

Yeah I got your point. But our agreement was we will share the funds I mean when the funds available to my account I will withdraw it and I'll share to him thw 60% and mine is 40%. On the very first job to him my rate was $34 per hour fortunately that time I was succesfully witdhrawn the  $1,290 I was happy because I thought i wasn't real. But unfortunately for the second task my rate change which is $29 per hour and successfully I consumed the 40 hours and finished the job. While I was waiting my funds to be available to withdraw suddenly 1 day before my withdrawals it was REVERSED. I don't know why I contacted my client I asked him about that he said he don't know. And I contacted Upwork support they said it was my client's account it was the billing methd of my client.

The "original sin" was unfortunately accepting an agreement violating Upwork terms and conditions. Everything else is a consequence of it. Rules are there to help protecting us.

Please be extra careful next time, do not send any money to clients, be suspicious when somebody wants to pay you 3x or even 10x your usual rate. 

Yes, thank you for the kind words. I'll be more extra careful now.

It does not seem to be clear to you: you can't agree with a client to do things that are forbidden on upwork. Refunding a client a percentage of every payment you get is not something that is allowed. Worst case, it is money laundering and can get you into real trouble. 

Please be more careful to what transactions you agree and make sure you don't violate ToS any longer, it is a serious danger to your profile.

spectralua
Community Member

Verified payment mean nothing really. Im sorry. 

I hope client have temporary issue then will pay you, with "Add bonus". Funds refund\reversal is final, you already lost this money.

ps 12 years? You are wery lucky! It's impressive. You should have great karma. I was scammed within first year at least 10 times. 🙂

759e32fa

Hi Wilnie,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. When your client's payment method fails, Upwork steps in and pays for the time that meets the criteria for Hourly Protection. Please contact the client directly to request a bonus payment, should the client agree to pay for the time logged. If you do not get a response from your client, you can contact support so we can reach out to the client on your behalf.

~ AJ
Upwork

Hi AJ,

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, my client ignoring me I mean he never paid me 2 jobs 40 hours both I did to him. Hopefully Upwork will help me reaching out to my client. He is not responding my to chat about the payment.

Looking forward for your help,

Thank you,

Wilnie

Hi Wilnie,

I'll have one of our support agents reach out to you to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

~ AJ
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members