🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » My Poor Daughter has been Permanently Suspend...
Page options
dcce5922
Community Member

My Poor Daughter has been Permanently Suspended with no cause after Verifying herself twice.

My daughters name is **Edited for Community Guidelines**, she was a freelancer here on Upwork.

She is so upset and has no idea how to move forward.

She joined upwork only a little over a week ago I would guess.  She studied what she does at Univeristy, and has been building websites for many years for non-profits.  She had already successfully completed projects here on Upwork and had very happy clients.  On Tuesday, she did her live video chat and submitted her drivers license, and was successfully verified, I was there when she did it.

On Wednesday she recieved an ominous email, notifying her that she had been suspended, quoting "We are reaching out today because we have noticed some irregular activity in your Upwork account."

Concerned about her VERY time-sensitive projects that were underway, she wrote back immediately, but the ticket was left unresponded to for days.  She reached out to chat several times inquiring, her clients have been calling her, worried about their progress and worried about her getting paid.

She was eventually instructed to submit an ID again, and to also send her bank statements, which she did both, scanning both of them on our home printer.  She was told in 24 hours it would be resolved.  She let her clients know.

24 hours passed with no response.  Her upwork account at this point changed from saying "transactions limited"  to "suspended".  Worried, she reached out again to Upwork with no response.

The next day, today, she has been told that they have reviewed her case (what case???)  and she has been permanetly banned.  

She is in the middle of 2 projects, halfways completed.  Her clients are worried and upset.  She has a previous client who wants a quote for a new project and contract.  She has just reached "rising talent" on her profile only a day before being banned. 

Please, can someone with more authority review her case.  She is beyond upset.  She thought Upwork would be her saving grace for her and her daughter, and has done work for her clients way underpriced just to get started, staying up late while her toddler sleeps to work for her clients, it breaks my heart that she was left in the dust with not even a reason why.

Please, help us.  We can get you any verification you need, or any screenshots.  

13 REPLIES 13
dcce5922
Community Member

Also, she worked very hard for the money that she can now not withdraw nor get access to -- she has logged over 60 hours in the past week!

I'm upset for her.  Surely you keeping her money should be illegal!

Michelle:

Upwork is not going to discuss another user's account with you.

Edited out; 

lysis10
Community Member

Michelle H wrote:

Also, she worked very hard for the money that she can now not withdraw nor get access to -- she has logged over 60 hours in the past week!

I'm upset for her.  Surely you keeping her money should be illegal!

You know a lot about your daughter's activity. You should ask her to share the reason and probably the CS communication. Upwork won't talk to you about your "daughter's" account.

dcce5922
Community Member

Hi Jennifer,

My daughter is only 23 and we live together here with my granddaughter.  As you may know, we are on lockdown for coronavirus so childcare is totally gone.  I watch her toddler while she works and we try to keep opposite schedules.

She doesn't know the reason, that's why I'm on here.  She can't login.  She tried calling and asking and chatting and asking the reason but customer service has told her twice that they do not know.  The first email says "suspicious activity", but when she verified her account with ID and bank statements it was permanently suspended.

I understand not being able to talk about her account, but Upwork is not going to answer her it seems like.  

lysis10
Community Member

Michelle H wrote:

Hi Jennifer,

My daughter is only 23 and we live together here with my granddaughter.  As you may know, we are on lockdown for coronavirus so childcare is totally gone.  I watch her toddler while she works and we try to keep opposite schedules.

She doesn't know the reason, that's why I'm on here.  She can't login.  She tried calling and asking and chatting and asking the reason but customer service has told her twice that they do not know.  The first email says "suspicious activity", but when she verified her account with ID and bank statements it was permanently suspended.

I understand not being able to talk about her account, but Upwork is not going to answer her it seems like.  

Oh wow that's interesting. Sounds like they think she shared her account with someone or let someone log into her account. It's good there is someone in the same house that feels so passionately about her account as I'm sure she feels.

dcce5922
Community Member

Thanks Jennifer,

I think I am probably the more passionate one.  LOL.  She is upset, but she's not nearly as vocal about it as I am.  

Michelle H wrote:

Thanks Jennifer,

I think I am probably the more passionate one.  LOL.  She is upset, but she's not nearly as vocal about it as I am.  

You are not doing your "daughter" any favors.  You should back off now. Your daughter seems to have made a mistake that Upwork cannot countenance. If your "daughter" continues to work with this client off site, then, she will never make it back to this site. As it is, she should be looking at other similar job sites. 

She just left the house to call her client and she told me she will finish his project this weekend without pay because she's so upset that she's letting him down with his deadline and was almost done anyway.  I know I shouldn't be venting here but surely the parents here know how I feel as a mother.  I'm SO proud of her but it breaks my heart.  

lysis10
Community Member

Michelle H wrote:

She just left the house to call her client and she told me she will finish his project this weekend without pay because she's so upset that she's letting him down with his deadline and was almost done anyway.  I know I shouldn't be venting here but surely the parents here know how I feel as a mother.  I'm SO proud of her but it breaks my heart.  

That's very kind of her working for free and all. It's good she lets you know what is going on play by play so you can keep updating.

dcce5922
Community Member

Yes we are both very concerned.  She was hoping this would be a good income for us with everything going on.  I'm a nurse at the largest hospital in the area and we both know I will end up getting Covid-19 and my work won't pay me for two weeks leave.  Stay safe!  Have to go, thanks.

varungs
Community Member

It's best practice not to zealously defend suspended users, because it only serves to make the case look more suspicious. Let your daughter do the talking (to Upwork support, not here).

a_lipsey
Community Member

I thought North Carolina's shelter in place order wasn't going into effect until Monday at 5pm? 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members