cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My account has been suspended

m1k5
Active

Hi,

I started working on oDesk 3 years ago. Spent hundrets of hours editing, doing tests, working on every job with 100%.

2 month ago they sent me a message: We’re writing to follow up on the performance warning we sent you a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, we have not seen sufficient improvement in your performance and are concerned about the impact your work has on our community. 

I asked them what was wrong or what mistakes I did and no answer. I had rating of 4,75 at that time from 16 jobs. Every customer was satisfied and there was no problems with anything. I asked if I should pause my work for the check up or what else I can do.

So I did, paused everything, canceled all applications, everything, well I hardly even logged to oDesk in last 2 months and today I got message: After a careful review, a decision has been made to close your account.

No message why or anything.

How can I solve this? They would not give me reasons or what mistakes I did for this to happen.

15 REPLIES 15
mikas_bog
Ace Contributor

You didn't receive any feedback on 2 jobs, so oDesk counts that as a negative thing, and that is one of the reasons you had low job success rating. It is said that some formula decides if you are a good freelancer or not. I hope that they will stop making decisions like this one. I advise you to create a new profile and try to build a reputation on oDesk. Good luck:)

Yes I agree, the no feedback part of the job success seems to be the biggest problem with it. I am not 100% against this job success thing. I think it has some silly things involved, but it could be an ok thing.

The main issues I see are 1, sometimes you can not control that a client set a due date, and did not get the materials to you before the date (I am dealing with that now, and have for 2 other jobs recently). This is not the freelancers fault, and the client is the one paying for the work, if they are not in enough of a hurry to get the materials out, then I do not see the "success" problem here.

The second issue is the no feedback. It is not our fault that the client does not feel like taking the time to leave feedback. oDesk could help fix this by forcing feedback before a job gets closed by the client, but then you go back to the issue of due date. Do you as a freelancer close the job to meet the due date and get a hit for no feedback, or do you get a hit for missing the due date and force the client to be the one to close the job so that they have to leave feedback. There is no win in this situation.

I beg oDesk to please look into this and make immediate adjustments. It is not impacting me at this time as I still have 90% but when these 3 jobs weigh in I have a really bad feeling about the result.

Quote: "I advise you to create a new profile and try to build a reputation on oDesk."

Don't give him a wrong advice- that is against TOS.

If you have refunded or cancelled jobs (regardless of who cancelled them or whose fault it is) that counts against you as well (which is a nonsense in itself but I won't go into that here.)

So that might be the reason and also I noticed on your profile that you have one 5-star feedback on which you responded  with  "not sure why." If that was originally a bad feedback and you forced the client  to change it to 5 stars , that is a serious violation. However I am just speculating here-so please don't take this as a real reason. No one can tell you  for sure except oDesk people.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Denis,

I am sorry to hear your account was closed. As you were informed in one of the notifications, oDesk Team considers a variety of metrics during the review, not just public feedback, but also private feedback from clients and other reports and disputes.

Please, note that opening a new account on oDesk will be a violation of oDesk Policies, so please refrain from doing so.

~ Valeria
Upwork
ago_g
Community Guru

Yet another example of how things don't work properly. Seems the variety of metrics is just the client satisfaction. Otherwise, it's a vague marathon with no sign of consideration of anything else.

After 3 years they can't even give Denis a reason?

m1k5
Active

Hi,

so you say: private feedback from clients and other reports and disputes.

Well I hardly belive that. I don't think someone would write nice review and give 5 stars and then he would give me private dispute to my account. I was staying in touch with clients over the skype also so they would ask me for the work done as the first person and then we would work over oDesk. I don't think someone who wants me to start another work would make a dispute - well of course I wasn't able to do anything because I was not allowed to do anything in last 2 months.

It would have been a lot easier to tell me 2 months ago what mistakes I did and I would fix it then just wait 2 months and close my account permanently then. I would fix it if I spent hundrets of hours making reputation and rating. Well it is not easy when your only income is oDesk but I guess it is hard to understand that for you.

So tell me know, what should I do? On oDesk I had customers which I worked for, and knew that I am honest, loyal and hardworking - and now? Need to find some other freelance page and start everything from begining?

All I wanted is that someone would tell me problems and I would do everything in my power to fix them.

I guess I will never know..

I am on the same boat. My account was suspended last Feb. 9th. I asked customer support to clarify the criteria for suspending my account. They told me that it's not just based on the public feedback but private feedback counts a lot too. I have a 4.98 public rating and no way of knowing what was said on the private feedback. They told me to close out contracts that are inactive for a while so I contacted my clients and asked to close the contract on their end. I closed out 2 contracts on my end because they didn't respond after 2 weeks. Those contracts were paused by odesk due to inactivity and client was no longer on odesk. I have 6 5.00 feedback rating, 1 3.25 which was a test run and client went with a different freelancer and 1 3.90 this was when I gor sick and client asked me to end the contract early. One  I have 2 more open contracts. Last  Feb. 28th I received an email stating they cannot reinstate my account and I have to wait 30 days and ask them to review it again. How am I going to improve my account if I can't apply to any jobs and also not knowing what my private feedbacks are. 

m1k5
Active

I feel you, completely the same story. I went to write them on facebook if they can stop sending me copy paste messages and to please tell me what was wrong so I will fix it and next day I got the same message once again.

Don't know what to do anymore.

Hi Denis and Michelle,

I also have point-to-point same story as you guys, I think it's time to move on as something good has come to an end.

Anyway, I strongly believe that if I can build a strong reputation here, replication of this on some other platform will not be difficult.

Best,

Manish.

sunnymodi
Active

HI

I have active account on odesk. but due to some reason i was inactive on work. now i logged to odesk and i found its became upwork now.

Now issues is i cant do any job work due to my account in suspend mode. how can i activate my account here?

Waiting for support.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Sanelite

vladag
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Sanelite,

Please refer to the email notification you received and update your profile details in order to have your account resumed.

Untitled

HI Vladimir

Thanks for your response.

I didnt get any email notification to update my profile and i can resume my activity here. i have checked my accounts inbox as well spam/junk folder but there is no email from upwork community.

please send again email notification so i can do right away.

Looking forward to your valued co-operation.

Regards

Sanelite

vladag
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Sanelite,

Your account was suspended a few years ago, so we won't be able to resend the notification. Please contact Customer Support for further instructions.

Untitled

Thanks for you response.

But in customer support i cant find any helpful link for account suspended.

can you help me to find please?

Regards

Hi Sanelite,

In order to resolve this issue, you will need to update your profile with a new picture, profile name and overview. Please, note that on Upwork a freelancer profile is supposed to represent an individual professional and not a team. 

Please, check out this video tutorial, this and this help articles and the Upwork Policies.

~ Valeria
Upwork
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS