🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » My account was stolen
Page options
babych_roman
Community Member

My account was stolen

Hello
My previous account was stolen by the previous employer.
Is there any chance to restore?
I tried UpWork form, https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=360000464433 but didn't get answer from support.

All accesses own by my previous employer, unfortunately.
I was verifying my identity, so I can not create a new account as well.
Hope we could solve it and I can get my account back.
Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
m_terrazas
Community Member

Roman B wrote:

Hello
My previous account was stolen by the previous employer.
Is there any chance to restore?
I tried UpWork form, https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=360000464433 but didn't get answer from support.

All accesses own by my previous employer, unfortunately.
I was verifying my identity, so I can not create a new account as well.
Hope we could solve it and I can get my account back.
Thanks

I can see your two profiles.
Do you mean that the agency you were working with has stolen your account and they are using it as if it were you?
How is it possible? Did they have your access data?

Yes.
They registered my account on an internal email address, especially on **Edited for community guidelines**

When I finished work with this agency, I asked to get back my account, but they answered "No". Unfortunately, I didn't know UpWork rules good enough to know that if they have access to the email they actually own an account.
When I tried to log in with data what I used while I worked with that agency, I realised that password changed and I can not get access to the email anymore too.

Now I'm on the trap. Could you help?

Roman B wrote:

Yes.
They registered my account on an internal email address, especially on **Edited for community guidelines**

When I finished work with this agency, I asked to get back my account, but they answered "No". Unfortunately, I didn't know UpWork rules good enough to know that if they have access to the email they actually own an account.
When I tried to log in with data what I used while I worked with that agency, I realised that password changed and I can not get access to the email anymore too.

Now I'm on the trap. Could you help?

I hope they help you.
Anyway, they not only need your email address, but also your password, right?
Do they have it too?

They registered account for the corporate email. So, actually, they had access to the email and to my UpWork account.

When this account was created they described that this is my personal account. But when I finished work with them, they changed password and refuse to return an account to me.

Roman B wrote:

They registered account for the corporate email. So, actually, they had access to the email and to my UpWork account.

When this account was created they described that this is my personal account. But when I finished work with them, they changed password and refuse to return an account to me.

See if Upwork can help to get your account back, but I think there is something quite strange here.
Your account is YOU as a freelancer, and it is YOUR data and YOUR password. Why did the agency create your account? Strange.
In addition to investigating your problem, Upwork should investigate the agency.
Are they doing the same with other freelancers?
In this way they have active accounts that other people can use.

I don't know for sure. I was just developer there.
But it's possible, because I know that they created several accounts include mine. But I don't know what arrangements they had with other developers.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Roman,

Could you please click on my name and send me a PM with more information about this report. I'll check that further and have correct team assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths