🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » My balance was refunded to the client and it´...
Page options
rbioque
Community Member

My balance was refunded to the client and it´s the second time in 2 months. I lost more than 2000 $

Hello everyone,

I´m going to explain my situation in case someone had the same problem. 

As I read, most of you had some bad experiences with the tracking app, and so do I. Last month I worked for a client on an hourly contract and after waiting for the billing period, Upwork decided to refund all the money to the client. Result: 1.460$ lost. No refunds, no bonus, no nothing...

Today I was supposed to be paid for another hourly contract and the same happened. 

The thing is this: I´m a composer and producer, which means I can not be all the time clicking the mouse or the keyboard because I need to be composing, playing instruments, and also listening to what I´m creating for the mixing process etc.( more than the 80% of the total time basically) The tracking app doesn´t count that so, it means that all the hours I spent playing the instruments to produce the songs, mixing and mastering,...doesn´t count it seems. 

Final results: My clients had 2 original compositions fully produced and I got 0$ for my work. 

I´m very disappointed and I would like to place a claim for this. Does it mean musicians are not a good fit for the tracking app? Why Upwork is not taking this into account for producers and musicians on hourly contracts? I think Upwork should do something about it because nowadays I´m in trouble for not being paid and also very annoyed for giving away my work just for free. I´m a top-rated freelancer, and I´m working through Upwork for a lot of years now, but this is really disappointing. 

I already contacted support and they just tell me that the tracking app is counting the clicks and screenshots and there is nothing else I could do but ask for a bonus to my clients. Really??

I did that and, of course, the clients just disappeared. My screenshots were clean and showing I was producing the music correctly. 

And another reason they gave me, which was the drop that filled the glass, is that I had a High Hourly Rate. Let´s see...is there any policy that says you need to price your services on any standard value? 

I think this is a free market. There are new people and others like me that made a career with more than 20 years. If I value my work is because I think it´s worth it. There will be clients that are accepting it and others that not. But I do value my work. Why Upwork is telling me that my rate per hour is high? Is there a price limit per hour?

If there are any freelancers that went through something similar, could you please help me to push it? I think it makes sense that we get paid on hourly contracts even if we need to be playing instruments and not clicking the mouse at the same time, don´t you think? Thanks to all.  

12 REPLIES 12
JoanneP

Hi Raúl, 

I checked, and it looks like one of our team members is already assisting you directly via a support ticket. The agent will update you directly on the same ticket to assist you further. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
rbioque
Community Member

Thanks Joanne, looking forward to it. 

petra_r
Community Member

Your client didn't pay Upwork and Upwork do not pay you out of their own pocket if your hours do not qualfy under the terms of the protection.

That means manual time is nt covered and there are no "exceptions"

It's not that Upwork refunded the clients, although it appears like that. The client(s) never paid in the first place. It's not a refund, it's a reversal of a transition that never happened in the first place.

And another reason they gave me, which was the drop that filled the glass, is that I had a High Hourly Rate. Let´s see...is there any policy that says you need to price your services on any standard value? 

No, but basically Upwork offer a kind of insurance policy in cases where clients fail to pay, but like any insurance policy this comes with conditions. One of those conditions is that Upwork won't pay you out of their own pocket at an hourly rate that is higher than you usually charge... When your profile rate i $ 50 an hour, you took work at $ 10 an hour earlier this year and another hourly job is at $ 30 an hour and the one in question is at $ 110 an hour you can't possibly be surprised that it caused raised eyebrows....

rbioque
Community Member

Hello Petra, no manual time was added in my work diary. So...
As for the rate... I raised the price when I wanted to rise it.
If there is no policy about price rate per hour Upwork shouldn't do that. If not, they should have warn about this. I'm going to keep my rate per hour the way it is because there are clients who pay it for my services and also my work worth it.
It seems you didn't read my post correctly. Tracking app while you play an instrument... How does the tracking app works in this cases?
Nothing, there is a blank. If I would be writing novels, instead of making music, I'm sure this wouldn't happen. This situation is still waiting for a response so I'm not going to abandon it. I'll keep fighting for my rights as a freelancer and as a musician.
petra_r
Community Member

Raúl B wrote:
If there is no policy about price rate per hour Upwork shouldn't do that. If not, they should have warn about this.

It is in the terms for the hourly protection that Upwork will protect you only up to your usual rate or the market rate, whichever is lower.

rbioque
Community Member

Oh, and also if you check I have 2 profiles. With the general one I charge
50 but for the specialized profile with music production I charge more.
Each time I compose a song I'm giving away also my rights as a composer so
I should charge more for it. If Upwork allows you to do specialized
profiles it's because you are specialized in that materia so you can charge
the amount you think you diserve. I have more than 20 years of experience
composing and producing music. I didn't start composing a month ago...
Anyways, thanks for your reply.
petra_r
Community Member

Raul, you need to take a step back and read the terms of the hourly protection very, very carefully. It's like an insurance policy against non-paying clients. Like any insurance policy it has terms and conditions.

Upwork pay you out of their own pocket when the client doesn't pay, but ONLY if ALL the terms are met and ONLY within the limits outlined

That's all there is to it. That isn't something you can argue with, it's entirely black and white. Either your work diary and so on qualify, or they do not. The end.

If your work doesn't lend itself to working that way and you need the hourly protection, you can't do hourly contracts.

You need to redirect your anger into the direction where it belongs: THE CLIENT - it's the client who never paid you.

rbioque
Community Member

Petra, the client paid or at least this is what she says. Also, I wasn't paid the full amount, just 2 hours that accomplished the hourly protection.
I don't have anger.. I just want to be fair and ge paid for the work I did. Nothing else. I have a house to pay and it's 2 months now I can't do that because of this reason.
If there are hourly projects, why can't I apply to them? There are a lot of clients that need music composition and they want hourly contracts. If Upwork allows them to post their jobs it's because they also have into account that musicians need to play instruments and not just the keyboard or the mouse. That's all I'm saying. They need to stablish something different for musicians in hourly contracts. That would solve a lot of problems.

If the client had paid you, then you would have gotten your money - what are you saying, that Upwork stole from you, or that they just arbitrarily decided to refund money to your client? That didn't happen. Your client either requested a refund, or their payment method failed.

Bottom line, Upwork is not your employer, and they're not going to just give you money out of their own pocket if you don't follow their rules. If you have an issue with clients not paying you, then you need to manage your business better. And yes, it CAN be managed; your situation is not unique to musicians. I sometimes bid on hourly projects and then realise that I'll need to spend a lot of time problem-solving, consulting or doing paper sketches that can't be measured on the time tracker, in which case I ask clients to switch to a fixed price contract and fund the escrow account instead. It's not that difficult.

Thanks for your reply but treating me as a full is not helping. 20 years managing my business and I'm still alive! Not that bad in my opinion but it's so easy to say things when you are not in the same shoes.
Whatever... Thanks!
lysis10
Community Member

If you can't get keyboard activity then it sounds like you should be taking escrow payments only.

Raúl B wrote:
Thanks for your reply but treating me as a full is not helping. 20 years managing my business and I'm still alive! Not that bad in my opinion but it's so easy to say things when you are not in the same shoes.
Whatever... Thanks!

Hey, you wrote here asking for advice and you've been told that it would be better to use fixed price contracts. But you don't want to do that - you want to use hourly contracts, not track your time properly  and still have Upwork pay you if things go wrong. Good luck with that.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members